Sunday, September 28, 2014

Here's To The Anthologies

I know many people who pass up short story collections. They don't like pouring through the different voices within. Some just don't like the short form. But I can't think of a better way of sampling and discovering new writers than in this format. 

Sure, most anthologies will tend to have several authors of note. I know editors and publishers who will slap in something from a well-known author not because it's a stellar piece, but because they hope the name recognition will help push through a few more sales. I can't blame them. But me? I'm immediately drawn to the new male or female author. Or the unfamiliar name. And if I like the piece, off I go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble to see what else they've got out there.


2 comments:

David J. West said...

Agreed, I was raised on short story collections (along with comic books) and l've the quick form and getting to the heart of the matter before I fell asleep for the night.

L.A. Mitchell said...

What a timely post, Stewart. I just got a freebee from a friend that had over 20 stories. I feel no guilt at giving each story only a page. If you haven't hooked me, I move on. I'm proud to say I read three last night in their entirety. :)

I'm about to erase my Blogger blog so be sure you change the link/subscribe/etc if you want to stay in touch. I see your tweets occasionally, but too few and far between.

All best,
Laura :)
la-mitchell.com