Don't get me wrong, these are good baddies, but the author creating this list, however she created it, could have done much better. Much, much better.
So, with that in mind, let me give you my own top ten, in no particular order and after giving it a look see, I'm curious if your favorite monsters are on this list..
- Joffrey and Cersei from "A Song of Fire and Ice" R.R Martin [I had to include them together. And if you go past the third book of the series, you'll know why Ceirse rises to the list]
- Professor James Moriarty from the Sherlock Holmes series by A.C. Doyle. How Moriarty didn't make the list from PW befuddles me.
- Mrs. Havisham from Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. Okay, she made the above list, and rightly so. What this woman does to Pip is stomach turning. And if you don't know Havisham, grab the book.
- Ernst Stavro Blofeld from the James Bond series by Ian Fleming. Son of a bitch. Now this is a vile character. Not only does he create a poisonous garden to entice innocents to commit suicide, but he kills Tracy Bond on her honeymoon.
- Hannibal Lecter from The Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal. A glaring omission from PW's list.
- Cameron Lowry from The Ravening by Stewart Sternberg. This son of a bitch is the leader of a cult that uses zombies to keep the post-apocalyptic population in line. And if you think he was bad in The Ravening, wait until the sequel (yes, it's still coming).
- Randall Flagg, who makes appearances in The Stand and The Dark Tower series.
- Norman Bates from Psycho by Robert Bloch.