Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Forgetting To Remember

Is it my age that makes me worry about memory loss, or cell phone radiation? That being said, after recently procuring a copy of Moonwalking With Einstein, a pretty interesting tale of an author who covered a memory competition and ended up training for one himself, I decided to do something about my own difficulties with memories, namely my inability to remember numbers.

I'm in awe of people able to hear a phone number and tuck it away for immediate recall. Me? I have six seconds to write it down or my eyeballs bleed. I might decide to use one of the methods in the book, but more immediately, I will probably embark on an experiment with what is called the "Consonant System Mnemonic." It's also called The Major Memory System.

Essentially, you assign sounds to numbers and then make up words to recall them, and with large numbers the words can become a sentence or a larger picture. If you're interested, there's a great explanation of how to achieve this on the website litemind.com .

I will be experimenting with this system and report back on my progress if I can remember to do so.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I used to fool around with mnemonics and systems of various kinds. they worked typically, but I'm awfully lazy.

Stewart Sternberg said...

You know, that's one thing I've seen. In order to use it, you have to learn it and practice..practice..practice.