Monday, September 06, 2010

Cheappucino Anyone?

Ever heard of cheappuccino? (the kind of coffee one would buy at 7/11 or McDonalds)What about geriatric bypass? (the act of denying one's actual age to give the impression of being younger) Lapflaps? (actually I would prefer the definition that came to mind when I first saw this word--that being said, the definition on record is "pieces of paper that fall out of magazines and into your lap").

Apparently the good folk at Urban Dictionary are keeping abreast of things so we won't have to and compiling lists of slang, along with definitions. I'm sorry, but I don't necessary buy that any living person uses "geriatric bypass" in a sentence. Although I will start saying Cheappucino, that's just spot on.

The site, which has been around since 1999, will send you words and definition to facebook, or twitter, or even an phone app. It's obvious meant as a bit of fun rather than a serious attempt to track changes in cultural linguistics. Give it a visit and see what HBIC might be, or what a "Stall stall" is.

Me? I plan on following on twitter. It's a chuckle. Be warned, sometimes it can be a bit risque.

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Play with words is alive and well, I see.

BStearns said...

Ahhh yes, Urban Dictionary. It can be quite... entertaining. If the dictionary gives you a definition you don't like, just head on over to Urban Dictionary, and you'll probably find one you do like.

Christine Purcell said...

Have you tried using the site to look up your name. It's quite fun.

For example:
Christine - 1983 movie about the car that came alive and tore shit up. Killed tons of people, and was an overall badass.
"Hell hath no Fury...like Christine."

Stewart - A rare type of weed that only grows in or near Las Vegas.
"that stewart bd got me so high"

Those are some definitions from the site. For real.

Joe Ponepinto said...

Been using UB for a while now to help in my writing. For the totally unhip it's a great place to find cool street language for some characters.

Matthew Bradley said...

This is more of a general comment than one specific to your Urban Dictionary post, although I love wordplay and colorful language (if not necessarily with an urban slant). I've been dipping into your well-written blog and enjoying it very much. I have a nostalgic affection for Lovecraft films like THE HAUNTED PALACE, THE DUNWICH HORROR, and DIE, MONSTER, DIE, flawed though they may have been, and am also a fan of Guillermo del Toro, who I think is an excellent choice to tackle HPL. Most of the films from which you singled out your "Five Chilling Moments" are among my favorites, and Miss Jessel's appearance was a particularly frightening one. Finally, if you like vampires, Poe, and Bradbury, then you may share my admiration for Richard Matheson and want to check out my book RICHARD MATHESON ON SCREEN (http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-4216-4), tentatively due out in early October. Keep up the good work on the blog.

Ebenezer said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I believe.
get it | check | here