Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumn Song

The days have been getting cooler, and driving home, I see the first hint of color. The skies have changed, too, there is different feel to the clouds, a quickening that one doesn't see in the summer. This is my time of year, and as the days shorten and the fragrance of apples and pumpkin complement the whisper of leaves, I hear Melville...

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can."

When I first read this opening from Melville's Moby Dick, many years ago, I remember it resonating with me. No, autumn doesn't make me crabby, but it does tend to push me toward the sea, or it rather it fills me with a sense of wanderlust. When the wind blows and the temperatures drop, I have an urge to strike out cross country, or just to move for the sake of moving. It's a primitive calling.

I'm fearless in autumn. I know when I die, it won't be in this season. While Spring may be a time of renewal for some, autumn is the season that gives me life.

9 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Autumn makes me begin to plan hibernating ;p But it's Spring here so YAY for Sun!!!

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Christine Purcell said...

I love fall temperatures! I think the autumn gives a lot of people wanderlust. It's the only way to explain why people take fall color tours. Me, I just walk around my neighborhood.

Charles Gramlich said...

I wrote in Write With Fire about writing weather and the fall is a good time for me too.

Anne Spollen said...

I get this. It's definitely the season of the horror writer.

And maybe it explains why I always teach Melville's "Bartelby, the Scrivener" in October. (Sometimes I think I'm the only one on the planet who likes and still teaches that story)

Akasha Savage. said...

There is definitely a different feel to the air in Autumn. I love this season; I much prefer this half of the year to that of the spring and summer months.

Kate Sterling said...

It's my favorite, too. If we could just skip summer altogether and have a longer fall every year, I'd be quite happy.

Rick said...

Don't start going melancholy on me buddy. You're too young.

AvDB said...

I knew you were a kindred spirit!

I feel more energized in the fall, as if the life bleeding from the landscape is pouring into me. I suppose that makes me a succubus of sorts...

MKeaton said...

As I told you in person, I think this was a truly lovely post. Who's your ghost writer?

I am kidding of course. My compliments and appreciation.