Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hollywood and Arkham

People who want Lovecraftian cinema usually have to settle for low budget, poorly conceived, poorly executed slush. While many out there will protest, screeching that The Re-animator was a cult classic, let's be honest, the pickings have been slim. Sure, we've eaten our popcorn, taken refuge in horror with Lovecraftian flavor, but seldom do we see an honest attempt from a major studio to deliver Lovecraft.

That may change. Apparently Guillermo del Toro will be delivering a large budget version of "At The Mountains of Madness." I'll remain skeptical until principle shooting is wrapped up and rumors have started leaking. Perhaps I'm still sour over stories about the Bond franchise (don't get me started), but past experience has dimmed my expectations over Hollywood and Arkham.

Until ATMOM's release (let me be the first to turn the title into an anagram), here is something which might amuse me. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this.

11 comments:

Christine Purcell said...

I heard this is coming out in the next month or so. I'm so excited. I feel a midnight showing coming on!

Jemi Fraser said...

It will be interesting to see if the movie lives up or down to expectations :)

Sidney said...

It's a shame the Lovecraft tone and atmosphere's never been captured well. "Madness" will be an interesting effort to check out.

laughingwolf said...

come get your award :)

David J. West said...

I'm hopeful for ATMOM and am bummed I missed "Relic of Lovecraft" at Slamdance, that was in my veritable backyard-I'll have to watch it soon.

Marsha said...

I love watching this sort of thing. Sometimes I am disappointed and sometimes I am not.

Charles Gramlich said...

To see HPL treated well would certainly be a change

Stewart Sternberg said...

Christine, I'm there. Midnight.
Jemi, I have no expectations
Sid, I'm eager, but I'm not hoping
laughingwolf, I'll be there shortly.
Mr. West, backyard? We'll have to cross paths sometime soon at a convention or something. Going to World Fantasy?
Charles, agreed.
Marsha...disappointment is an old cloak we share in the world of genre.

David J. West said...

I want to make it to World Fantasy-but nothing is sure yet.

AvDeeBee said...

I remember my husband and I laughing through one poorly done movie adaptation of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep." Sad, really.

Anonymous said...

Hi stew =]