Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's Just A Click Away

With a click The Ravening is on Amazon, along with an  author's page . Another click and I have an author's page on Goodreads. I am twittering like a fool and even creating a page for a fictional church, both on Google and on Facebook. I'm going to conventions, planning on signings, and doing all manner of writerly things.

However, in writing the sequel to this book (I'm hoping to have it done by fall...and who knows, maybe out next year some time?) I am struck by what I enjoyed so much about writing THE RAVENING--- the characters. Well, the characters and the "cool" scenes (I will be posting one of those scenes here in a few days).

God help me, I actually feel for this family that I've torn apart and submitted to all manner of horrors. Eighteen-year-old Erik, who realizes how a plague has cheated him of his future. His eleven-year-old brother Sam, emotionally scarred and attempting to cope with childhood redefined. Karen, their mother,  whose humanity is tested when her family is torn apart. And Ken, the father whose former coping skills and knowledge are insufficient in helping him deal with a cruel and unfamiliar environment.

And then...the villains.

I don't mean to brag, but I do write a powerful baddie. Cameron Lowry is a vile and frightening individual. You won't like him, but you won't be able to turn away from him, either.


It's funny how, in starting work on a sequel, that I suddenly realize what it is that has made "The Ravening" special for me.

10 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like I'll only be able to read this one in the morning! Definitely not going to be able to sleep easily with it!

SQT said...

Can't wait!

Sullivan McPig said...

Powerful baddies are a good thing! I'll be keeping an eye on bookdepository to see if they add the book for pre-order too.

Jon said...

Amazon has it on Pre-Order status. I'm watching the mail already.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Jemi, I think you'll like it.
SQT..you and me both
Sully, I love a good villain, and this one is a sick S.O.B. My goal was to have him be more menacing than a horde of zombies.
Jon..I'll sign your book. For only twenty five cents more.

Charles Gramlich said...

cool. glad it's out. It'll be on my next online order.

Avery DeBow said...

Congratulations, Stewart! I'm putting it in my Amazon list right now.

I love writing the baddies, too. There's something so liberating in creating someone who represents all that society finds vile and unspeakable.

Steve Buchheit said...

It always shows when the writer/singer/actor loves what they're doing.

Bernita said...

Such a lovely, creepy, shivery title, too!

Kate S said...

I'm really looking forward to this one, Stewart.