Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Turtle Is Singing

I promised to boycott the Detroit Tigers for their personnel management these last couple years. Their deals for Gary Sheffield, Dontre Willis, and Nate Robinson have broken my heart. I was outraged at the trade of Granderson to the Yankees, a team that should be sent to baseball Hell. I know I said I would boycott them, but dammit...it's Spring.

Spring.

And I can't feel the earth warming without turning my thoughts to the national pasttime. With temperatures rising and snow melting I keep hearing Ernie Harwell's yearly spring training pronouncement:

"For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

And of course, each year James Earl Jones seduces me back with this endearing monologue:


Baseball is constant sound bite

5 comments:

Kathy G said...

The first spring training games were today. Can Opening Day be far behind?

Jon said...

This year we get the seats with the little table between them, right?
Eighty degrees, a bit of a breeze popping the pennants in left field. Visions of Sparky, his left leg propped up on the edge of the dug out, his jaws working. Al Kaline loping out to right field. Ty sharpening his spikes in the tunnel. Navin Field blue with cigar smoke, redolent with the sweet salt of roasting peanuts. The green...the impossible green of the outfield, cut into diamonds, shaved closer than a billiards table.
Yeah, I'm ready.

Charles Gramlich said...

I think this has something to do with baseball, but all I can feel in the spring is lament that football is over.

Travis said...

It's spring...every team has a chance.

(Not really, but that's the beauty of baseball and spring training. We get to think our teams have a chance.)

Sphinx Ink said...

After 43 years of nearly nuthin', the Saints made the Super Bowl and, gosh darn, won it. So I say there's hope for the Tigers, too. I'm not much of a baseball fan (like Charles, I lament the end of football season), but I'll pull for the Tigers to make the World Series. Or at least the playoffs, as a starter. I'll send the vibes into the Universe and maybe somethin' will happen!