Thursday, February 25, 2010

Zombie On!


As the author of a soon to be released zombie novel (The Ravening via Elder Signs Press) I worried about this. What if I couldn't dress up like a zombie, I asked. What if I couldn't shuffle down the street scaring small children? Well thank God this issue has been dealt with. Apparently in  Minnesota, a U.S. Court of Appeals, in a three to one ruling, decided that anyone has the right to be the walking dead.

The case came about as a group of people were arrested for disorderly conduct. Apparently their makeup and their behavior was unsettling. Actually, the group was protesting rampant consumerism during the 2006 Aquatennial (I have no idea). The judges decided they were exercising their right to freedom of expression and that the seven zombies had the right to pursue their requested $50,000 in damages each. Well, at least they have their integrity.

So as a lover of zombies, all I can do is pump my rotting fist and cry out "Arr--gghghh--hhh!!!" Unfortunately, the dead's vocal chords don't always function properly. If I could, I would stomp my dead feet and shout: "Zombie on, brothers and sisters!!! Zombie on!!!"

10 comments:

Kate S said...

But then your feet might fall off.

stu said...

What do we want?

"braaiiins"

When do we want them?

Constantly.

Rick said...

You're a sick man, Stewart!

Avery DeBow said...

"We're here! We're dead! Ge--luuurrghgurghgh."

Sometimes protesting zombies' jaws fall off. It happens.

Sullivan McPig said...

This is a great victory for zombies everywhere!

Christine Purcell said...

Dressing up like a zombie is a dangerous thing to do. As those of us who saw Zombieland know, it's likely to get you shot. But, in my opinion, it's worth the risk. Stick it to the man!

Stewart Sternberg said...

KATE..they might..but I have lost other body parts, so what's to be missed.
STU...braiiiins.
RICK, I am sick, but then, it's my one charming trait.
AVERY...right on. Power to the ....whatever we are.
SULLY, I agree. We need to celebrate. Maybe crack open some ribs?
CHRISTINE
Stick it to the man, sister. Then eat him.

Jon said...

Why aren't zombies more respected? It's the wardrobe. No vampire tux, not even lycan's luxurious fur. All tattered and nasty, those zombies. I mean, a quick trip to Old Navy would make a world of difference. God, even Sears...K-Mart!!! A pair of Dockers and a crisp striped buttondown shirt and they could limp into MacDonald's and order a quarter pounder (rare of course.) They could work there. Hell, you'd open your door for them and buy a Kirby! Long and short? Dress for the job you want.

Charles Gramlich said...

In this day and age people are still upset by folks in zombie makeup? Man.

L.A. Mitchell said...

The picture adds so much.