Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Tireless Imagination

I leaned forward and said: "When I was a kid I remember sitting in the living room and watching the lunar module touch down."

He nodded at me with a thirteen year old's patience.

"I used to stare at the stars in the sky and imagine we would have moon-bases and trips to Mars. I imagined flights beyond the solar system and meeting other citizens of the galaxy."

I could tell he thought me quaint.

"What future do you imagine?" I asked.

With bland acceptance he said: "2012".

7 comments:

Rick said...

Uh-oh. That's the Mayan calender thing, isn't it?

Christine Purcell said...

When I was a kid, they came out with this little movie called Back to the Future. I still want my hoverboard, darn it!

Charles Gramlich said...

well, look at it this way, in only a couple of years he'll learn a valuable lesson about being gullible. Either that or the world will end and none of it will matter a shit.

willow said...

I watched the TCM showing of
"2010" the other night. Funny how this year was imagined to be so space age. In some ways, maybe it is.

Sullivan McPig said...

I can only agree with Charles.

Gwendolyn said...

Okay. I thought this post was sad. So I asked my twelve year old what she imagined for the future. She said, "We've already done so much. We can destroy the entire world. We've already gone to space. I bet China will create some kind of robot that can levitate, some crazy powerful take over the world thing. The terrorists will be stopped. We will find more cures for diseases and travel to other planets all the time. We might come up with new ways to fly, maybe individually, like power packs."

Jon said...

I think I imagine waking up on December 22, 2012 and laughing my ass off at the crazies who believed all of this (shades of Y2K.)

I think I fear dying December 20 and never knowing.