Sunday, December 13, 2009

Paranoid

"I used Aardvark to do a search for information about security details and the Navy."

He looked at me, bemused. "You did what?"

"I'm writing a story about a vessel in WWII and things happen on the ship. I needed to get information on how security might have been handled. I ended up communicating with some informative folk."

He shook his head. "You know that Homeland Security is going to have you tagged."

I laughed and shook my head, about to disagree. That's when I remembered the searches I had been doing about the Wolf Creek nuclear reactor and the National Guard armory in Illinois. Legitimate searches for a novel I'm writing. But surely, no one pay attention . I'm doing research. Right?


It's a funny thing about the black heliocopters. You don't notice them until they're there. And the guys in the suits lounging on the street corner? They blend.

9 comments:

Mark Rainey said...

Yep, there were quite a few odd souls "blending in" when I was working on BLUE DEVIL ISLAND. They're still sensitive about certain secrets from over half a century ago... ;)

Anne Spollen said...

Coffee through the nose on the last line - "They blend" --

I love the whole idea of Homeland Security; it's now an actual college major.

Of course, they could always avoid all our security and just infiltrate us via White House parties.

Natasha Fondren said...

LOL! :-) I had a .gov reader for quite awhile on my spyscribbler blog. Coincidence, probably. Or not. :-)

Charles Gramlich said...

Doing some research on the Philadelphia experiment by any chance?

Jon said...

Actually, Stewart, people don't notice the black helicopters until they BELIEVE they're there. Or until Glenn Beck tells them that they exist...but I guess that's belief too. But then I don't believe Glenn Beck exists...I think he's just a very refined muppet that Jim Hendsen left behind in horror.

stu said...

Not on my street corner. Unless they're disguised as rabbits.

Steve Buchheit said...

I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks...

Oh, wait, this isn't Oz.

Angie said...

My husband works for Homeland Security, and when I read him this post, his comment was that he didn't think anyone in his organization was bright enough to be able to monitor your search patterns. [cough]

I kind of hope he's wrong, just on principle, and that there are a few people knocking around the org who actually have clusters of functional brain cells, but from the stories he tells, it sounds like kind of a coin-toss.

Angie

Kate S said...

Stewart, you write this as if they weren't watching you before.