Friday, October 30, 2009

I'm Done Ravening



I have been without home internet for the last week. Thank you ATT. So apologies to all who expected almost daily postings. Still, I think we've had some good ones this October, don't you?

I have watched both Misery and Romancing The Stone, films about writers. In each of these the author in question finishes a novel with a little ritual. They tap-tap-tap the final page, finish with "The End" and dance off, drinking a glass of champagne or smoking an expensive cigar. It's astonishing to me these people don't reread their work, edit, or proofread. Instead they just box up the manuscript and send it off to the eagerly awaiting editor. I guess wealth and fame has its privileges.

Well, last night I finished The Ravening and this afternoon, I sent it off to the editor for perusal. No ritual. Maybe I'm missing something. Still, it's good to be done. It's great to be done. And now? Am I on my way to Disneyland? Nope, now I'm outlining the sequel and working on a few short stories that have been begging attention.

So, here's to The Ravening, a tale of zombies and survival. I hope it's entertaining and I am sure I will be talking more about this in the coming months.

Would someone call me a "dirty bird"?

10 comments:

Steve Buchheit said...

That's because you're a working writer, not some glammed up fakery. These days I look at those film portrayals of writers and think, "That's the screenwriter having their little joke with the rest of us."

Oh, and good luck little novel.

And you're a dirty bird. What? I thought that's what you were asking for.

Rick said...

Congrats, Stewart. Now sit back and enjoy the sweet aroma of success wafting your way!

stu said...

Good luck with the novel.

Charles Gramlich said...

I wouldn't call you a dirty bird. Down here that insult is directed only at the Atlanta Falcons.

Travis said...

Congratulations on finishing up, you dirty bird you! Perhaps your completion ritual will be a blog post.

Jon said...

Of course you have a ritual...when you finish a book, you call me and say, "Well, it's done."
Then I say, "Cool...so how are the dogs?"
Then you say, "Oh, there're good. See you Thursday?"
And I say, "Yeah.
Ah, tradition.
And just because you asked...yes, you are indeed a dirty bird.

Akasha Savage said...

Here it comes...hard psychotic look: You durtee burrd.
Now I'm driving away for a bit while you roll about the house in your wheelchair.

I LOVE that film!

Good Luck with The Ravening. :)

Stewart Sternberg said...

STEVE
And here I always thought writers were mobbed by adoring fans, with women throwing panties at them and lustfully screaming their names.
RICK
I don't know that the smell is necessarily success.
STU
Thanks tremendously
CHARLES
The Falcons, eh? Again, being a Lions fan, I am afraid I have little sports input other than to whimper and occasionally develop some form of urinary infection.
TRAVIS
Maybe...just maybe
JON
So, are we heading out Thursday?

Stewart Sternberg said...

AKASHA...put down that mallet

SQT said...

Fantastic! I can't wait to read it. Though I think you should have a ritual. It could be a dark ritual if that makes you feel better...