Friday, October 16, 2009

Back From The Dead


I have been incredibly sick for the last week. Maybe H1N1? I think. I'm just starting to feel human now and thought I would return to update folks about last weeks' Conclave.

First, congratulations to Jason Lindsey, who was there with his lovely wife, for being the winner of my LAST MAN STANDING TRIVIA CONTEST. As a winner, he is now a character in my new zombie novel, THE RAVENING, and will be gruesomely killed in print. Second Place winner was Daniel Hogan, who will be referenced as the head of the CDC. Immortality is immortality.

Speaking of zombie novels, William Jones and I both read excerpts from our work at the convention. Listening to William's reading, I have to say that I'm looking forward to the release of Pallid Light. The section William read was shocking and edged with humor. Outstanding.

Rick Moore presented a fascinating panel on non-fiction writing. He is quite knowledgeable in this area. Unfortunately, he bailed on doing a ghost hunting panel, but there's always next year, when the name of ConClave will be formally changed to Rick's Show.

We also were able to get a smattering of gaming in. Appropriately enough, a zombie game. If you play with the Joneses, you can usually count on two things. When his opponent stumbles and all seems lost, William Jones will gleefully rub his hands together and intone: "Excellent". Deborah has a bit more mercy. She stops all game play, attends to you with intense scrutiny and inquires: "I just need to make sure...are you ready to surrender? You can give up now, if you'd like." And she does this BEFORE things actually happen. Me? I never indulge in any mind hooligans. No, I just humbly press on in good sportsmanship and applaud my opponent's victories and console him on his losses.

Before closing...it was great to see Chuck Zaglanis. The big hearted lug did a reading from his story in High Seas Cthulhu. Kevin was there to provide a charming smile and surprisingly buy everyone lunch. Thanks Kevin. Love ya. Rick bought lunch one day as well. So two love yas are in order. Also it was great to meet Merrie Haskell and Jon David

9 comments:

Sidney said...

Glad you are feeling better.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Thank Sid, except for an insatiable appetite for human flesh, I'm fine now.

Daniel said...

I think this was the first con I went to where I didn't catch something or feel terrible after.

Great job on the trivia game, that was a bunch of fun. Looking forward to imortality within the pages of your novel. I'm thinking of putting that on my resume.

And here's the link to the audio of the werewolf panel if you didn't already see it: http://magicofeyri.com/2009/10/werewolves-panel/

SQT said...

Glad you're feeling better. And lucky winners! How fun to be a character in a book.

Rick said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, too, Stewart. You guys have to quit getting sick.

Charles P. Zaglanis said...

I too have been suffering from a bug of some sort and it turns out my knee was officially sprained. It would have been a lot worse if not for Saint Rick's timely arrival with a cane. Not a bad chap for a Mason : )

willow said...

You, know, I think I've had H1N1, as well. Yikes, maybe I picked it up here?

Stewart Sternberg said...

DANIEL,
You're like the little brother I never accidentally killed and whose body I had to bury out back while lying to Mom and Dad about you wandering off at the park. Bless you.
SQT,
I should offer up a character in a book or story as part of a contest on your blog at some future point.
Me? I always wanted someone to use me as a Bond villain.
RICK
I'll do my best to stay healthy, but I do hear the reaper sometimes.
CHUCK...
I swear to God..Monday night this thing hit me and it's still chipping away.
WILLOW
H1N1 is bad, but not as bad as being forced to act out the fight scene in West Side Story for the benefit of relatives. Not that I ever had to do that.

Barbara Martin said...

Maybe you could get Rick to do a panel on sasquatches.

For cures I swear by half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 6 to 8 oz of water each morning. Mingling with crowds can be hazardous to one's health.