Friday, September 25, 2009

Conclave 34


Conclave has been around since 1976. Among its past guests of honor, one can find such luminaries in the realm of science fiction and fantasy as James Gunn, Theodore Sturgeon, Ben Bova, Robert Heinlein, Clifford D. Simak, David Brin, Algis Burgiss, Gene Wolfe, Poul Anderson, Roger Zelazny, Gordon R. Dickson, and Larry Niven. If you don't know these names, then you don't know science fiction and fantasy.

This year, I'll be at Conclave 34, in Romulus, Michigan. No, I'm no guest of honor, but rather a humble contributor to a few panels. However, to be in any way associated with the above personages fills me with excitement. But don't worry, those who come by will find the usual convention fare and a chance to escape for a weekend and join fellow gamers, artisans, writers, and fans of genre. You might even have an opportunity to join in the launch of something tentatively called The Midwest Genre Association. Maybe.

So hopefully, I'll have a chance to see some of you. It will be good to get away from it all for a few hours and share in science fiction and fantasy history.

6 comments:

Jon said...

I'll be the one in the Moon Mouse mask.

(good grief...my Word Verification is "dicarnl." Maybe kind of like bi-sexual, but different?)

Charles Gramlich said...

I would enjoy going to a con this weekend. have some fun.

Christine Purcell said...

I'm going to try and make it. I want to watch those Aegis people beat the heck out of each other :)

Stewart Sternberg said...

JON
What?Wait.....what?
CHARLES
It depends on the convention. I'm interested in seeing how this one turns out as it seems the organizers are trying to mix things up a little.
JON
What?
CHRISTINE...
looking forward to seeing you and meeting your husband. Hope you guys have a good time.

Steve Buchheit said...

Would be fun. but, alas, I'll be at Viable Paradise over that time. Yeah, I know, Detroit or Marthas Vineyard in the fall. I don't know why I picked the Vineyard.

Stewart Sternberg said...

STEVE
I don't understand. Martha' Vineyard? Really? Really? What...I mean, I could understand if it was in the summer. But fall in Romulus? How could you pass that up? Next week the street people by the overpass will be changing their boxes.