Friday, July 31, 2009

Never Again

Yet another poem??? Good grief. One more after this and you will probably not read any poetry from me for a very long time. Or who knows, maybe I'll find my inner poet and soar.

NEVER AGAIN

"Never again!"
The holocaust survivors nodded at this call to unity.
"Never again!"
I leaned back, thinking about the mazuzahs I never kissed
The Saturday mornings I've lounged in bed
The milk I've taken with beef at my soul's peril
"Never again!"
The cry is thunder, the occasion Kristalnacht rememberance.
We claim our humanity and love for justice
Tyranny shall find no friend here
"Never again!"
Serbia.
Cambodia.
Rwanda.
Darfur.
The Kurds at the hands of Hussein.
"Never again!"
These words move me as they've always moved me.
Now if they only meant something.

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely not a positive post for positive day. But too true.

Rick said...

Never say never. Remember, it's Chuck's birthday this Friday and you know how he loves poetry so he's probably expecting you to read these poems at his party.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Where are the severed heads? ;) Good for you getting your inner-poet on. I love me some political poetry.

Steve Buchheit said...

Nice. Although if it were me, I'd leave off the last line as it's implied by the laundry list of other genocides.

Anne Spollen said...

Nice blog - just visiting for the first time and looking around.

Stewart Sternberg said...

CHARLES-
I'm not a positive person..I'm sort of a sexy Scrooge
RICK-
I don't this Chuck needs this, but maybe we could do the dragon thing instead.
LA
The severed heads? On order.
STEVE-
I took your advice when I rewrote it. Thanks.
ANNE-
Thanks. Come back again.