Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hypocrite? You say that like it's a bad thing

I think hypocrites have gotten a bad rep. What's the deal? If we all tried to behave as we expect others to, we'd hemorrhage. It's good to have high standards, but let's be realistic. Me? I'm a born again hypocrite. I embrace it. When people point accusing fingers and utter that word, I beam and embrace it. Hypocrite. Yes.

If you explore the etymology of the word you'll find it to be Middle English derived from Old French. According to the online dictionary, it means someone pretending to be something he is not. Another source added that it came from the Greek hypokrites, meaning "actor on the stage, pretending".

So ultimately, the greatest hypocrite is the greatest actor, and quite frankly, the best hypocrite is he who goes undiscovered. Perhaps the vile reception given to hypocrisy is that people don't like to be deceived. Really? I mean, Really? I think people adore deception, it frees them from responsibility and allows them to continue along a path without confronting behaviors and issues they might otherwise deal with. So perhaps they should embrace the hypocrite. Or perhaps they should embrace their inner hypocrite.

As Groucho Marx once said: "These are my principles...if you don't like them, I have others."

4 comments:

SQT said...

Great post Stewart. I couldn't help but chuckle but it has a ring of truth too doesn't it? Certainly, as we get older, nothing is as cut and dry as it once seemed. Lord knows most people end up being totally different than first impressions would suggest. Does that fall under the heading of hypocrisy or social skills?

Steve Buchheit said...

I think we should all embrace our inner hypocrite. Especially when we call other out for being one.

Stewart Sternberg said...

SQT
Allow me to quote Woody: "Rationalization is more important than sex. I can go a week without sex."
STEVE
I'm actually thinking of starting a Church of the Inner Hypocrite.

Jon said...

And allow me, please, to quote Walt Whitman,
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself.
(I am large-I contain multitudes.)

See? It's not hypocracy, it's thoughtfulness!