Friday, May 15, 2009

It's A Living



My mother was a patient woman. At one party she brought me in to meet friends and acquaintances. I remember leaning forward and confiding to one group of people: "After college? I'm planning on joining the Special Executive for Counter-Intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion."

My father rolled his eyes. I considered it an improvement from my previous declaration of my intent of becoming a diplomat for the United Federation of Planets. I felt someone needed to help reinforce the Prime Directive.

These days my declarations of identity have taken a slightly different tilt.

"What do you do for a hobby, Mr. Sternberg?"

"I'm a re-enactor."

"You mean like a Civil War or Revolutionary War re-enactor? What is it you re-enact?"

"The 1997 Superbowl. Greenbay v. New England. I usually take on the role of a pennant vendor. We make all our own uniforms."

I live for whimsy.


4 comments:

Steve Buchheit said...

See, I tend to just say I breathe a lot. But that's only when I want to play with people.

Susan Miller said...

I love it when you play, Stu!

Fab said...

This made me smile! Defending the prime directive would have been a good cause.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Cute :) The costume of a consummate smart ass.