Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The High Def Frontier

I have just purchased the first three Star Trek films for blu- ray, and to be honest, I'm not sure why. It's not that I don't love them, I do. Instead, it's that I'm not convinced I need them in blu-ray. I already own them on dvd.

"Is it really that much of a difference? Blu-ray?" The answer is ..."yes" and "no". Blu- ray and high definition broadcasts are clear and colorful. They are a delight to watch. But are they enough of a jump in technology to forsake DVD's and leap into a new technology? I'm not talking about the technophile, I'm referring to average person who isn't sure what the difference is between 1080i and 1080p, or who doesn't really understand what black contrast is or how DTS makes a difference in sound.

This is actually the worst time for Blu-ray to be sprung upon the public. First, most decent blu-ray players are fairly costly and let's face it, if you don't have a HD TV, you don't need one. Second, the discs themselves are pretty steep. A new DVD is about twenty dollars and often much cheaper, a new blue-ray is often close to thirty bucks.

With the economy the way it is, with number of people who have yet to buy HD TV's (not a small investment) and with the leap from DVD to Blu-Ray not being enough of a leap for many people to justify the cash----I almost feel sorry for Sony. Almost.

As for me? I'm waiting for my delivery from Amazon so I can watch a cleaned up and enhanced version of the first three films.

9 comments:

spyscribbler said...

What's it like? Blu-ray? My viewing has gone down in quality since I started watching my shows on the internet. Honestly, I don't miss the quality. But then I've never had an HDTV or watched a Blu-ray movie. :-)

L.A. Mitchell said...

I suppose I'd be spoiled if I'd been watching HDTV and Blu-ray all this time, but I haven't. I suppose we'll all have to make the jump someday. Enjoy your movies :)

Akasha Savage said...

All this technology gets a bit much for me! We are just about to purchase a LED TV, which is HD anabled(!!??): my daughter says this is good, I have to trust her as I haven't got a clue. As for Blu-ray, I'm in two minds, I still think DVD's are great - compared to videos; is there such a difference that it's worth paying out?
And how long before the next 'new' bit of techno comes along, making us splash out more money?
Bah...humbug to it all!
;)

Stewart Sternberg said...

L.A SPY...Again, Hi-Def..and Blu-Ray...are wonderful. However, the best picture in the world will not make a bad movie good.

AKASHA
HD enabled means the HD tuner is in the tv...very cool. Although most people will get cable and have a box that will process the HD signal for the tv. As for, is it worth it? Again, the VHS to DVD leap was enormous. The DVD to Blu-Ray...noticeable but not essential.

SQT said...

We're kind of holding out until we get a new TV, and then I'm sure we'll do the Blu-ray upgrade. Hubby tends to do these things all at once. Lately I've been wondering if a Kindle or a Sony Reader would be a good investment-- but I'm too cheap to get either one. Maybe when the prices come down.

Virginia Lady said...

I always wait a while for new technology to become old before I get it. Saved me when BETA tapes went by the wayside, and remember laser discs?

Enjoy the movies, I'm sure they'll look great and hopefully some other tech doesn't come along and usurp the blu-ray.

Avery DeBow said...

Blue ray thing does nothing for the clarity on our Pioneer. But, we still get a really nice picture with plain old DVD's, and any HD movies we get on demand are awesome.

Stewart Sternberg said...

SQT...I can't hold out. If there's a new toy out there..I want it.
VIRGINIA..how are those eight tracks working for you?
AVERY..I hear that a lot. That's why people buying a bluray should also make sure their tv has a strong black contrast, which is key. But still, that being said, I can't say that it is worth the extra money one pays. And let's face it, once one sees "Freddy Got Fingered" in bluray,it's still "Freddy Got Fingered" and one of the worst films ever made.

Donnetta Lee said...

Just spoiling yourself a bit! My son has to have any new techie toy that is out there. Has to. D