Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tribute


While putting together the Halloween playlist, I started coming up a slew of fascinating tunes, basically covers in the form of tribute albums. If an artist has a history and has garnered any small amount of respect in the music community, then somewhere at sometime fellow musicians have come together to compile interpretations of the apex of that person's catalogue. Well, maybe not always the apex, but there are some interesting interpretations available.

For instance, if you like the work of Van Morrison, Casandra Wilson performing "Crazy Love" is a sexy, soulful rendition. Maybe something harder? How about Motorhead performing Metallica's "Whiplash"?  Or how about Metallica peforming a tribute to Iron Maiden with a cover of "Remember Tomorrow"? Me? I'm an Alice Cooper fan. He actually has three tribute cd's, with the best of them featuring a slick cover by Bruce Dickinson.

Take a gander and you'll see tributes to Harry Chapin, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Judas Priest, ABBA, Depeche Mode, Frank Sinatra, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles, Steve Goodman, Joy Division, and Johnny Cash. I'm just ladeling a few names here, the titles go on and on...

Want something a bit strange? "Back in Baroque... The String Tribute to AC/DC" or "Gone Phishin': A Bluegrass Tribute to Phish"  What about "Harptallica: A Tribute", featuring the all-female Harptallica, covering Metallica's tunes with classical harp.

Lot's of good music. And sometimes the cover outshines the original. 

10 comments:

Will Kinshella said...

I must admit, I was kinda grooving a bit to Harptallica.

Their rendition of "One" was actually pretty spot on.

Charles Gramlich said...

Harptallica! YOu've got to be kidding.

Christina said...

I'm going to check out those songs you listed. The song about the father having to hunt his werewolf son sounds really horribly sad. I'm curious to hear how it goes.

Fab said...

I know of Appocaliptica, but this is entirely new to me.

spyscribbler said...

That's not the first time I've heard of harpists doing some crazy things, LOL!

Stewart Sternberg said...

Will, Harptallica..I actually liked it. Not something for a steady diet, but it's intriguing.

Charles, I'm waiting for Metallica with spoon and washboard.

Christina..I dont know how sad, but it is certainly kinda cool.

Fab..I have that cd.

Spy...I wouldn't harp on this. I wouldn't want to string you along. so far you've been a perfect angel. Don't make a lyre out of me.

Donnetta Lee said...

Wow. Looks like this took some time, Stu. I'm going back to check out the music! Later. D

L.A. Mitchell said...

If my life depended on naming any one of Harptallica's tunes, I couldn't do it. Wrong on so many levels, but the harp playing itself was beautiful. I applaud them for embracing musical diversity.

x_X_xThe Black Rabbitx_X_x said...

I don't think that I EVER want to hear a Metallica HARB tribute... EVER.

x_X_xThe Black Rabbitx_X_x said...

HARP***