Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Nox Arcana

This is like the best time of year. I love October. And I think Halloween is on a Friday. What could be better?

Naturally, I have Carpenter's "Halloween" theme already programmed on my cell phone. The wallpaper on my computer has been swapped to Alice Cooper's image at his most horrific. And musically, I am assembling my Halloween playlist, that musical assortment that captures the feeling of the season.

Before getting to a playlist, something I'll drop on you in a later posting, let me first talk about a band that has caught my attention. NOX ARCANA. Their music is rich in dark atmosphere and the sort of thing one enjoys playing in the background at three in the morning when trying to scare yourself stupid. At this time, they've produced more than ten albums in the last six years, with such Halloween-appropriate titles as "Necronomicon", "Darklore Manor", "Carnival of Lost Souls" and "Blood of Angels". This is the type of dramatic Gothic film music that a writer of horror tales needs to listen to for motivation.

If you want more information about Nox Arcana (Joseph Vargo, William Piotrowski ), then take a trip over here. It's worth a visit. You'll be able to view some titles, artwork, and listen to some of the music. Don't get me wrong, this isn't something you're going to tap your feet to. But if you want to scare the hell out of the kids...then this is the thing.


9 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks for the tip. I love that dark, brooding, moody stuff. Don't know if you've heard it, but Danzig's "Black Aria" is another good one.

Rick said...

You keep this up and you'll be the one voted "Most Creepy Guy" by Wanda at the next convention.

Virginia Lady said...

Very cool music. I can't wait to see your list.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll check this out. I like some good goth music on occassion.

Avery DeBow said...

Hah! Stewart's a goth!

Want help with your eyeliner?

L.A. Mitchell said...

They have that Adams Family harpsichord going. Very haunting. Thanks for the diversion, Stewart :)

Stewart Sternberg said...

Lana, trust me. These guys are outstanding. I will check out Black Aria. I have a couple of Danzig's cds.

Rick, I am the creepiest guy.

Virginia, I'm posting it soon. It will begin my halloween posts.

Charles, A very, Goth? I don't know. Mass murderer. Maybe.

You're welcome L.A.

Avery DeBow said...

Well, apparently many people think the two go hand-in-hand, so I don't think there'd be a problem with you being both. And seriously, can I do your eyeliner?

Stewart Sternberg said...

Yes, Avery. You can do my eyes.