Why do we do playlists? What an amazing conceit! Who gives a damn what music someone listens to during a specific time of year or to get into a mood. How pathetic. Truly. People who post their playlists have enormous egos that are nothing more than bloated shells.
Here is my playlist. Twenty five songs to cruise along under charcoal skies as Halloween Eve nears.
1. Welcome To My Nightmare (Alice Cooper says hello, let's get this thing started)
2. Mr. Crowley (Ozzy Osbourne creates atmosphere and menace with the homage)
3. I Put A Spell On You (There have been many versions of this tune, but Joe Cocker's is the most soulful. Or else go for the original by Screaming Jay Hawkins).
5. Bela Lugosi's Dead (Who doesn't love Bauhaus?Over nine minutes of Gothic head nodding)
6. Bad Moon Rising (CCR...A little menace from the Biyou)
7. Call of Ktulu (Metallica has written many songs that would fit in perfectly with this playlist, but hey...Cthulhu and I have a relationship)
8.Don't Fear The Reaper. (This song by Blue Oyster Cult has been featured in several horror films, including Carpenter's "Halloween". And it has Cowbells!!!)
9. Season of the Witch (Now you can go with the original Donovan version, maybe try the Stephen Stills/Mike Bloomfield version, but let me recommend the 'nighttripper', Dr. John.)
10. Sympathy for the Devil (Mick or Axel, take your pick)
11. Bloodletting (A song for vampires...by Concrete Blonde. This is vampire music for people too cool for Laurel K. Hamilton)
12. Zombie Jamboree (fun calypso piece...there are several versions of this floating around, but I think Harry Nillsson's is the most fun..."Oh, my God..there's a zombie on my belly!!!!)
13. Temple of Light (Creepy instrumental by Delerium, not for lights out entertainment)
14. This is Halloween (A cover of Elfman's song for the Burton movie by everyone's favorite attention whore: Marilyn Manson)
15. Number of the Beast (I was always afraid something would be summoned when Iron Maiden performed this)16. Godzilla (this is for Mark Rainey...a tribute to the giant of Tokyo, again Blue Oyster Cult and cowbells.)
17. Creepy Crawler ( bit of electronic house music by Zombie Girl. It's not exactly art, but it will keep you nodding while the Belgium boys in the hostel do splits)
18. Into The Coven (Merciful Fate...a wee bit o 'celtic pretense for a wee bit o' pagan flummery. A moody electronic violin piece that seques into a good bit of metal pounding. Actually, pretty decent even for a Danish band, even for a Danish band with King Diamond)
19. Seance-(Gothic instrumental drama....Nox Arcana...put this on, turn out the lights, and wait in the closet for somone to come)
20. My Violent Heart (Trent..Nine Inch Nails...he's a disturbed individual)