Friday, October 17, 2008

Halloween Playlist


Why do we do playlists? What an amazing conceit! Who gives a damn what music someone listens to during a specific time of year or to get into a mood. How pathetic. Truly. People who post their playlists have enormous egos that are nothing more than bloated shells.

Here is my playlist. Twenty five songs to cruise along under charcoal skies as Halloween Eve nears.

1. Welcome To My Nightmare (Alice Cooper says hello, let's get this thing started)

2. Mr. Crowley (Ozzy Osbourne creates atmosphere and menace with the homage)

3. I Put A Spell On You (There have been many versions of this tune, but Joe Cocker's is the most soulful. Or else go for the original by Screaming Jay Hawkins).

4. Werewolf (I love this song about a father forced to hunt down his son by the light of the moon. Five Man Electrical Band. By the way, this is the band who gave us "Signs".)

5. Bela Lugosi's Dead (Who doesn't love Bauhaus?Over nine minutes of Gothic head nodding)

6. Bad Moon Rising (CCR...A little menace from the Biyou)

7. Call of Ktulu (Metallica has written many songs that would fit in perfectly with this playlist, but hey...Cthulhu and I have a relationship)

8.Don't Fear The Reaper. (This song by Blue Oyster Cult has been featured in several horror films, including Carpenter's "Halloween". And it has Cowbells!!!)

9. Season of the Witch (Now you can go with the original Donovan version, maybe try the Stephen Stills/Mike Bloomfield version, but let me recommend the 'nighttripper', Dr. John.)

10. Sympathy for the Devil (Mick or Axel, take your pick)

11. Bloodletting (A  song for vampires...by Concrete Blonde. This is vampire music for people too cool for Laurel K. Hamilton)

12. Zombie Jamboree (fun calypso piece...there are several versions of this floating around, but I think Harry Nillsson's is the most fun..."Oh, my God..there's a zombie on my belly!!!!)

13. Temple of Light (Creepy instrumental by Delerium, not for lights out entertainment)

14. This is Halloween (A cover of Elfman's song for the Burton movie by everyone's favorite attention whore: Marilyn Manson)

15. Number of the Beast (I was always afraid something would be summoned when Iron Maiden performed this)

16. Godzilla (this is for Mark Rainey...a tribute to the giant of Tokyo, again Blue Oyster Cult and cowbells.)

17. Creepy Crawler ( bit of electronic house music by Zombie Girl. It's not exactly art, but it will keep you nodding while the Belgium boys in the hostel do splits)

18. Into The Coven (Merciful Fate...a wee bit o 'celtic pretense for a wee bit o' pagan flummery. A moody electronic violin piece that seques into a good bit of metal pounding. Actually, pretty decent even for a Danish band, even for a Danish band with King Diamond)

19. Seance-(Gothic instrumental drama....Nox Arcana...put this on, turn out the lights, and wait in the closet for somone to come)

20. My Violent Heart (Trent..Nine Inch Nails...he's a disturbed individual)

12 comments:

Rick said...

I'm going to have my kids explain these to me, Stewart.

Charles Gramlich said...

Now how could you not have "Werewolves of London" on here dude? I actually am not sure I've ever heard a Bauhaus song.

Zoe Winters said...

Cool playlist. For me, it's anything by Rammstein. Fukkin Uber Death Party by Hanzel und Gretyl also.

(me loves German rock)

Some Manson.

And then a few of the classics like werewolves of London.

And the little red riding hood song.

And...oh yeah Rasputina is creepy. They have a fun song called Transylvanian Concubine.

Will Kinshella said...

I have dozens of playlists set aside for writing purposes, but I don't think I've ever created one for a holiday...
That said, I must agree with Mr. Gramlich. How could you not have "Werewolves of London"?

I would also suggest "We're all mad here" By Tom Waits.

Long time no see

Lana Gramlich said...

I'd add "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Grieg. It's a classic...literally.

x_X_xThe Black Rabbitx_X_x said...

I cannot wait to hear this playlist. I somehow think that you're going to play it for out compendium of hooligans.
Or at least, I hope so.
I am so looking forward to hearing some creepo shit.
I know you are too.
You should put some Wednesday 13 on there too, Stu. You'd enjoy it.
FYI- Bad Things by W13 is just... knee slapping morbid funny.

Virginia Lady said...

Cool list. I love Nox Arcana music for this season. I cheated and sued iTunes to hear a sample of the songs you listed that I wasn't familiar with. Now I've added a couple to my wishlist.

Stewart Sternberg said...

OKAY. I left off Werewolfs of London because I put it on my last Halloween playlist. I can promise you that on my mp3 disc, which allows me to play a hundred or more songs in the directory...I have Werewolfs of London. SHEESH!!!!

Zoe, there's nothing like metal for Halloween.

Funny you should mention that Lana, I have that song on my disc as well, only I have a tasty version by The Who.

virginia lady, I am so glad I found nox arcana.

rabbitt...I'll check out W13

Rick said...

I have sat down with my son, and he carefully explained that iPods and music will melt my brain, so I should stick to watching movies and reading genre novels.

SQT said...

You have a very eclectic list. My hubby's like that too. I guess interesting people have varied taste. I am very boring.

Charles P. Zaglanis said...

If I may be so bold, I'd suggest "Halloween" from King Diamonds's first solo effort, Fatal Portrait. "No Presents for Christmas" is a fun little ditty for another holiday.

Avery DeBow said...

Where's the White Zombie, here? Or Ministry's "Everyday is Halloween"?

I'll have to forgive you, though, simply because you listed Bauhaus.

Zoe--Another Hanzel und Gretyl fan? Whee!