Sunday, October 05, 2008

Conclave, not just a pretty name


So...how was Conclave 33? I behaved. Now stop. Stop. I sat next to Michelle West, author and reviewer for Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine and we discussed politics in science fiction. Sure, there were disagreements. But discourse was pleasant and I never once lapsed into unreasonable or psychotic rants. I'm starting to think that was the point. I'm starting to think that by putting me on a panel which would probably have made me crazy had I been in the audience, that I was effectively being muzzled. Even with Chuck Zaglanis and Rick Moore sitting in the front row, their eyes gleaming with mischief, their grins taunting, I was not tempted into making statements guaranteed to incite the audience into a lynch mob. So kudo's for taming that beast, Jody.

I also wanted to mention that I had a chance to meet Steve Buchheit, a smart, funny and talented individual. Check out his blog here.

And finally. Allow me to write that Rick Moore's panels were exceptional. I had a chance to sit in on him moderating a panel on writers and editors. Rick's comments were insightful and he had a way of drawing out thoughtful responses from the other panelists. Also, during a panel on "How To Write A Scary Story", he once again was entertaining and informative. Outstanding job, Rick.

6 comments:

Charles P. said...

At times it seemed that violence-epic, blood soaked violence-balanced on the point of a pin, yet we all made it out of that panel unscathed. Kudos to you Stewart; it seems the Hulk has finally mastered the boundless rage that lurks within him.

And who the hell knew Rick could be so entertaining and coherent? If I had kids I'd hire him for their birthday parties. I gleefully wanted to bury Caesar and ended up having to praise him.

Zoe Winters said...

hahahahahahaha that's always my goal, not to lapse into a psychotic rant. hahahahahaha. Cause holy crap, I can be a crazy bitch some days.

Charles Gramlich said...

So what was that I heard in the news about a mass slaughtering of the unwashed up that way? I figured it was you but now you're claiming it wasn't?

Stewart Sternberg said...

Chuck, I think...I think Rick might be ready for GoH. Zoe, madness doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
Charles? Charles, it wasn't me. I actually had a good time. Yeah. I did.

Rick said...

Stewart, you, too, were apparently fooled by my stunt double.

William Jones said...

I regret missing this panel. But if there was no ultra-violence, then maybe it was to somber and sober for me. :)