Friday, July 11, 2008

This Is The Way The World Ends....



I adore "Silly Season", that time of year when the stories that dominate a news cycle seem to be a bit sensational or odd. In my current surfing, I've been coming upon a good many postings dedicated to the end of the world. Now, I enjoy a good apocalypse. Who doesn't? Hollywood obviously does. Look at the end of the world tales that have been released in the last several years: "I Am Legend", "Mad Max", "On The Beach", "Desolation Alley", "Logan's Run", "Planet of the Apes", "Wall-E" , "The Last Stand", "Day of the Comet", "Armageddon", "Day After Tomorrow", "Night of the Living Dead", "Cloverfield", "Miley Cyris In Concert with the Hudson Brothers".

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Currently the most discussed alarm clock is the ongoing countdown to December 21, 2012. Apparently the Mayans made this prediction. Don't they get blamed for everything? Contributing to the building frenzy is a story that solar scientists are stating that solar storms are building in intensity and will continue to reach dangerous levels, culminating in a peak..when? 2012. This story has been confirmed by National Geographic.

Then there's the new atom smasher CERN is powering up. Doomsayers are concerned it will destroy the Earth by unintentionally manufacturing a black hole. And when is this supposed to go online? 2012!!!! Actually, no. The CERN device will be up and running later this year. But still.

Well..what about that Super Volcano we keep getting warned about? What about the event that scientists predict according to statistical probabilities? What about the prophecies decoded from the bible?

What about . . .

Oh, I love "Silly Season".


Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say the world will end in ice,
From what I've tasted of Desire,
I hold with those who favor fire,
But if I had to perish twice,
I hold with those who favor ice.

14 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

As for whatever will end the world, I favor whatever will kill me quickly and painlessly. I can hope right?

Lucas Pederson said...

Ah yes, "The End Of The World". I wonder about this sometimes. Like Charles, i hope my family and I go quickly and painlessly.

Really, though, I'm not scared of whatever is to come. Bring it on! Lol! Still, though, i have to wonder if that will be the exact date or not.

BTW, I liked that poem at the end...

Stewart Sternberg said...

Charles. I want to go kicking and screaming, fighting the mutants until the very end. Lucas, that poem at the end is by Robert Frost. It's called "Fire and Ice". The next stanza...but if I had to perish twice/I think that ice is also nice.

spyscribbler said...

Freaky. I feel like writing faster.

SQT said...

I remember when I was growing up it was always about nuclear annihilation. When I was in high school there was a movie called "The Day After" about the fallout from a nuclear bomb and that was all anyone could talk about. I can't even recall how many years everyone figured we'd get nuked by the Russians.

Now it's terrorism, or super volcanoes. Also, since there won't be another millennium anytime soon, people need to fabricate other dates just so they can have something to anticipate.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Sqt, that 2012 date has been around for quite some time, as Stewart will attest. I recently read something similar to the CNN story that places our solar system axis pointed towards a point in the galactic center and gosh, that doesn't sound scary to me. I am on record as being a fan not of the apocalypse, but the fall of Western civilization. Never having driven in my life, I will be in the perfect position to walk from town to suburb, renaming them as I see fit. Spartacus. Marlboro. Sternberg. Mitchum.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Oh, and "The Day After" (filmed in Lawrence, Kansas, where the original CARNIVAL OF SOULS was made, and which scared me more than any atom bomb film)was a great TV film. Anyone ever see SPECIAL BULLETIN on CBS or THREADS on PBS (it was a British film)? Both were out about the same time as TDA.

SQT said...

Wayne

I'm not a big believer in apocalyptic prophecies, though I'll have to take your word on the 2012 thing. I just seemed like there were just as many "credible" predictions about the millennium. Let's not forget Y2K either.

I actually bought a mini-van from a guy who was convinced the Y2K thing was going to be the end of the world. He sold most of his possessions and bought a double-wide and a bunch of guns and ammo. Settled himself on a remote piece of land with a short wave radio and waited to hear that the world had ended.

I am not making this up.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

@Sqt--I agree about the "old prophecies." That isn't too hard to believe about the Y2K guy because for awhile survivalists were referred to as Y2K people. I'm oversimplifying that, but you know what I mean, and thats still a great story about your mini-van. The Mayan date has been changed to reflect the Gregorian calendar, though when I first read of it in the 70s, it was the Julian date. I'm sure Stewart or Charles can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Incans or the Olmecs seemed to have a similar structure to their dates. Of course, after 2012, we'll have to discover new prophecies, like the hundredth anniversary of Elvis's death. Maybe we need to all create some nice End Times theories. I personally think a sign of the coming apocalypse is that man who had that baby.

Mark Rainey said...

It's pretty common knowledge that Ghidorah, the three-headed monster, is going to wipe out Earth -- possibly before 2012 -- during a really nasty battle with Godzilla. A lot of folks like to hide their heads in the sand over this, but it's coming.

At least death by giant monsters ought to be entertaining.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Wayne, SQt..good exchange.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Mark, I've been thinking a good deal about your comment. I'm not sure Godzilla is a threat, I'm worried about Mothra though.

miller580 said...

I remember when I was a little kid of twelve, the news told of the earth being sucked into a black hole in the year two thousand. I thought back then...I will be thirty, I will be really old...so who cares.

Oh the good old days.

Anyway, I like the way Maynard thinks. He writes:

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.
Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this
stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit...
One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied…
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Peace.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Hey, back from Italy, Jim? Yeah, I remember the good old days, when one was fifteen and thinking about how far away the future was. Forty? An eternity. Fifty? Don't even worry about it. Now I look back the other direction through a backwards telescope.