Saturday, April 26, 2008

Going Commando..Again

"High Seas Cthulhu" did not win a Stoker award from the Horror Writers of America. It was nominated, but no soap. Still...another chance at some acclaim might come for "Frontier Cthulhu", from Chaosium. Apparently The Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design (AAGAD) and the Game Manufacturers Association (GAMA) have announced that the anthology, edited by William Jones, is in the running for an Origin Award.

I'll let you know more about whether or not the mustard is cut, but until then...I attended a book signing in Flint today. William Jones was at a Borders signing copies of his newest book: "
The Strange Cases of Rudolph Pearson". I believe these were advanced copies he made available. I'm not sure and it doesn't matter. I'm looking forward to reading this collection of Lovecraftian horrors, all the stories in this anthology woven together to present a story arc. I'll let you know more when I've had a chance to finish it.

Finally on the writing front, sort of, I attended yet another conference this past weekend. It was a mish mosh of open source computer software folk along with gamers and lovers of science fiction and fantasy. Yes, the Tron Guy was even present.

I wish I could say I behaved myself. However at one point I believe I unleashed upon the unsuspecting member of a panel I was attending. I know. It's hard to accept that I can be confrontational or in any way controversial. I won't name names, but let's just say that my face will probably be posted in the lobby of future conventions, a red circle with a line through it upon my image. I figure it will be a year or so before my friends allow me to live down this maniacal outburst. Currently, I have become part of a threat: "Don't make me go all Stewart on you."

In my defense, I am not the seven foot tall gentleman with the pot belly and elongated limbs who screamed his outrage at the way the panel discussion was proceeding. Rather I was the target of the seven foot gentleman's wrath. Sigh. Well, when you live in your mother's basement, sipping Bosco through a straw, pretending to be a woman in order to browse the lesbian chat rooms while at the same time trying to peruse the online fetish sites, I can understand how difficult it is to handle stressful public settings. Again, I wish I could tell you more, but my sense of decorum and etiquette prevents me from going into more detail.

14 comments:

SQT said...

Wow. I wish had been there to see that.

Sidney said...

Oh come on, it sounds like it would be a great story.

miller580 said...

if you feel up to reliving the experience...email me the details...I am soooo curious.

DesLily said...

sometimes you win and get the cream of the crop...
Other times you loose and get fragrant cow flop!

sorry about the cow flog Stewart!..

hey, was good to hear from you again!!

DesLily said...

wow.. like the new look!

Jon said...

"Going all Stewart," on somebody has been an ongoing expression in every writer's group in southeast Michigan (and parts of Ontario) for about fifteen years.

Wander through the Port Huron B&N and whisper the word, "Garbage," and would-be writer's will cringe behind Mitch Albom's remainders in fear. They know what it means and they know who said it.

No, really, Stewart, you are kind to new writers. And old writers like me...when I used to write.

Now your tolerence for BS is an entirely 'nother matter.

Charles Gramlich said...

decorum and etiquette? I didn't even know you knew the meaning of those words, Stewart.

Donnetta Lee said...

Now, Stewart, sometimes you have to be firm in order to be kind. I'm sure that's all you were doing. Uh huh.
Donnetta

Stewart Sternberg said...

To be honest, the person I attacked was a short, stout middle aged woman who had written numerous books for children. I am sure she is used to being adored. I became ridiculously confrontational. I believe the ball gag and leather hoodie were a bit much. I can't go any further than that. I am sure some people were shocked. However, when a panelist makes sweeping statements without real support or intellectual integrity, that panelist must expect to be taken to task.

As for the big guy in the back...I don't know. Maybe she was his mommy.

Lori Witzel said...

Well, foo, my witty comment was just vacuumed out into the aether...let's try again.

Not as witty...but I would have loved to have seen Stewart gettin' all Stewart up in somebiddy's face.

Turnbaby said...

Oh my Stewart--such a firebrand!

Avery DeBow said...

Now, see, those are the only panels worth attending. Have any footage to share?

Anonymous said...

Funny, a similar situation arose at Penguicon this year during a panel about literacy which sought to address the question "Does the next generation need to be literate?" Of course, in that instance, the person in audience kept asking for the panelists to cite their sources, even after the panelists had attempted to do so. Such citation requests would have been appropriate at a scholarly convention, but at this was an informal discussion of literacy in general and what the panelists were doing to encourage youth to read, the requests seemed to be nothing more than a desperate cry for attention by the gentleman in the audience.

Stewart Sternberg said...

No, the lady in question never answered the question, Mr. Anonymous. If the question had been answered, things would have been fine. When one is not an educator and makes outlandish statements about the field of education, one better be able to support one's arguments. And, Mr. Anonymous, while the convention may not have been an educational event, the panel itself was tackling a subject which probably would have been better left to one.