Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tim Curran


I went to another convention and another book signing. There I had the opportunity to meet Tim Curran, author of "Hive" and "Dead Sea". And while the picture to the left is definitely of someone called Tim Curran, it isn't the Tim Curran I met.


A resident of that distant place in Michigan's Upper Peninsula called Esconaba (funny, he didn't sound like a 'Yooper'), he was also at the convention to promote his work. High forehead, round cheeks, dark brown hair with reddish highlights, playful eyes and a devilish goatee, Curran was a pleasure to talk to. He is funny and down to earth. Wry wit.

One thing that impressed me was Curran's passion about his writing and his research. " Hive", a sequel to Lovecraft's "At The Mountains Of Madness", is set in the Antarctic. Curran had contact with numerous people currently engaged in work at different Antarctic weather stations to make sure that his descriptions of the landscape were correct as well as his understanding of the science in his work.

I'm still looking forward to having an opportunity to meeting Stephen Mark Rainey, Charles Gramlich, or Sidney Williams some time. You never know where the flow of writing and promotion will carry you.


12 comments:

SQT said...

For some reason I had it in my head that you did know Sidney and Charles personally as well as online. It's amazing how we can connect with people the way we do through the net. I met a favorite author of mine a couple of weeks ago and we chatted like old friends right off. Kinda cool.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Um...actually Charles has a restraining order on me.

spyscribbler said...

I was wondering where you'd been, lately!

That picture is strangely erotic. :-)

Jon said...

Sorry, Stewart, you'll just have to settle for meeting me tonight at the library.
Hey, lets save our pennies and take a road trip to meet all of our blog friends! Well, maybe just the ones within a radius of a half tank of gas.

William Jones said...

I've seen Stewart at a distance. He mostly ignores me. And I was curious about the picture selection.

Lana Gramlich said...

Screw writing & promotion--Mardi Gras' a good enough excuse to pop down, no? ;) *LOL* (We'll lift the RA temporarily...)

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, we can set the restraining order aside for a bit, as long as you bring booze.

Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, Stewart! Well, I don't know about the others and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Charles personally--but I can tell you, Charles and Lana seem to be REAL people. And Charles can write! And both are courteous and honest in their comments. OH-and Lana can paint! So, Charles has a restraining order on you, huh? Now, Stewart, there must be quite a story there...
Donnetta

Mark Rainey said...

I hope we do get a chance to get together one of these days, Stewart. I fear for any innocent bystanders, though; collateral damage, and all that.

Lana Gramlich said...

Donnetta is far too kind. :)

Stewart Sternberg said...

Such cordiality. I wonder if Donetta and Charles and his missus will be so welcoming when I show up for dinner.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Such cordiality. I wonder if Donetta and Charles and his missus will be so welcoming when I show up for dinner.