Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Dead Beat

I have kids in school who are only there so they can collect social security check. I remember one kid who received money from the government who would run out and buy large boxes of beef jerky to cram them into his locker. On one shelf beef jerky, on another a box of condoms.

I'm not criticising people who need a leg up, but sometimes what people will do in the name of fraud is worth noting. For instance, the Associated Press is circulating a story about two men who were busted for wheeling a corpse into a Pay-O-Matic to cash the dead guy's social security check. According to the article: "The witnesses saw the two men pushing a chair with the deceased flopping from side to side." I immediate thought about "Weekend at Bernies".

Apparently the two men left the body outside and went in to cash the check. As they did so a group of people began gathering around the corpse (go figure) until they attracted the attention of a police officer lunching at a diner across the street. The two were arrested for fraud while the dead guy, not charged, was released to the morgue.

11 comments:

Avery said...

When I was in Florida I heard about a little girl who wrote in to Hannah Montanna with a sob story about her father being killed in Iraq. They gave her a makeover and free concert tickets. When the promoters tried to find out more about the father's death, they eventually contacted his mother, who told them he was quite alive and not in the armed forces. The girl and her mother are in pretty deep, now.

It amazes me what people can and will do to try and benefit themselves.

Donnetta Lee said...

Hey, Stewart! We've got them at my school, too. Oh, the entitlement attitude. Nothing like it. May not know how to spell, but sure do know how to work the system!
Donnetta

Mark Rainey said...

The dead guy sure got off easy.

Lana Gramlich said...

Goodness has limits...unfortunately sleeze does not. My mom even ruined my brother's credit rating before he graduated high school (& he didn't find out about it until later.) Anything for an almighty dollar. *derisive snort*

DesLily said...

makes you wonder what it would take to have these same people put in the effort they use to defraud into making their life better by actually "trying"!

I can still remember an incident years ago.. my (then) husband broke his hand and was out of work, no money coming in for a number of weeks until workmans comp would kick in.. we had 2 kids to feed. I went (with my tail between my legs) to welfare for some temporary food stamps. As I waited a big, NEW, Cadillac car pulled up outside, a woman in a fur coat and lots of jewlry stepped out, came in and received her food stamps... my mouth hung open... for quite some time!

Orhan Kahn said...

Now THAT is funny. And oddly something I would do if I were desperate enough.

Charles Gramlich said...

"Give me money, give me green. Heaven you will meet. Make a contribution and you'll get a better seat." Metallica, "Leper Messiah."

spyscribbler said...

How about having more kids for more government money?

Kate S said...

I thought of "Weekend at Bernie's" when I read that, too, Stewart. Even got a bit of a chuckle out of it. Also had to pause when I read the ages of the would-be criminals - both men in their mid-sixties.

I sense an Adam Sandler movie coming out of this. :^P

Fab said...

Now that is an almost unbelievable story! That people would go that far! Walking around with a dead guy to collect his money. What a world. It's shocking.

Susan Miller said...

Interesting, Stu.

I think about this a good bit especially now in an election year when considering candidates. Policing or monitoring such an enormous population, finding ways to give appropriately without handicapping and developing a system where those people who want to take advantage are easily caught sometimes seems too enormous to even contemplate.

I'm glad that person called and turned in the two guys with Bernie.