Monday, October 22, 2007

Not Feeling The Love

I thought to myself: why don't I join the Horror Writers Association? You know, the people who give out the much politicized Bram Stokers Award. I thought, hey, why not. You can communicate with other writers, have other writers communicate with you, and join that big happy much politicized group.

I sent them the application fee and waited. Nothing. Not even an acknowledgment. I waited an appropriate period of time and sent a gentle prod to see if there might be something awry. Nothing.

At least magazines send out rejection letters.

Maybe some of you who are members of this esteemed group can send emails to your organization and tell them to maybe give me a buzz and let me know what the deal is. Just a thought.

8 comments:

Turnbaby said...

Stewart---come visit us on BlogTalkRadio. It's certainly an adventure worth a look see.

I'm interviewing Ian T. Healy this Sunday about his published novel The Milkman and the sequel he is currently working on AND NaNoWriMonth. It should be great fun. And I might have a surprise or two in store--you just never know.
Stop by--don't cost nothin';-)

Stewart Sternberg said...

Blogtalkradio...I just might. Thanks for the offer.

Sidney said...

I left the HWA fold a number of years ago because I felt like it had stopped doing me any good and probably had been hurtful in some instances.

I got outraged once upon a time because a guy--who'll be nameless here--was an officer of the organization but was editing closed anthologies at the same time,which I thought was reprehensible. You can't be heading an organization that supposed to be helping horror writers and editing anthologies not open to the whole membership at the same time.

I'm not sure why they're not responding, but maybe Wayne can shake someone from their slumber.

Travis said...

How rude.

Laugh at my presumption or tell me to eff off, but don't ignore me! LOL!

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, that's weird. I'll contact someone I know in HWA and see if they can find out what's going on.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Thanks Sid, Charles. You know, I'm eligible for associate membership. I would be glad to join. If they don't want me, that's cool. All I ask for is the courtesy of contact.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Thanks Sid, Charles. You know, I'm eligible for associate membership. I would be glad to join. If they don't want me, that's cool. All I ask for is the courtesy of contact.

Mark Rainey said...

Odd situation. I'm an active member, though I'll be the first to admit I'm not terribly "active" as far as the org is concerned. I do check out the HWA members' message board regularly, which does have loads of good info, and I think it's something you'd benefit from. I've sent a note on your behalf, detailing your problems; it's not a good first impression, and I think they need to be aware of it. HWA is MUCH better now than it has been for some years, so I think joining would be a good thing.

--M