Sunday, October 07, 2007

Assignment ...Chesterfield Writers



Two people at the writers' group complained they couldn't get anything going. Jon threatened to put a request for ideas on his blog to spur him to write. The other person begged for a writing assignment.

I haven't done much formal writing (well, except for today) but I have been religiously keeping a writers' journal.

I don't believe in writers' block, by the way. I believe that if you can't move forward on one project, you should shift gears and try something else. Leave your short story alone and go write a paragraph of description. Forget the chapter you're working on, go write a character description. Detail it. Make it your own.

Don't use these diversions as an excuse though. Go back to what you were working on and force yourself to continue.

So, people need ideas, hmmm? Let me then propose an assignment for the Thursday group. You are all welcomed to participate, and I'll publish a link to anyone who sends me one for what they produce. Deadline: Tuesday, the sixteenth of October.

Assignment: A relationship has ended, but one person is in total denial. Extreme denial. Absurd denial. Here we have two important elements for fiction, character development and conflict. If you want extra points, try black comedy. Limit...2000 words. Or more. No poetry.

13 comments:

Stephen Mark Rainey said...

Who's got time for writer's block? Nothing like deadlines to get you past it. You just have to have the discipline to take them seriously. If your deadline involves money, one better take it seriously.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Sometimes, denial is the only thing that keeps people IN relationships. But that's another story altogether.

I think "writer's block" is a self-important euphemism for "lazy," "uninspired," "otherwise expended," or "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

There are those who love to write, even live to write, and those for whom the reward is not in writing but in having written something.

Kate S said...

Hold please while I grab my flyswatter to smack Stewart and Hearts.

Ok, so writer's block for me really is lazy, uninspired and otherwise expended, but still... pout.

I've got a job interview the Monday before that assignment, Stu. I imagine I'll be in plenty of denial as it is.

Good luck on your convention. Don't let the furries catch you in the bathroom.

avery said...

I usually hate being told what to write, but that prompt sounds like a lot of fun. I'm tempted to mess around with it. I think you had me at, "absurd."

Charles Gramlich said...

These days I've got so much I want to write and so little time that I get "not-able-to-write" frustration. Once I get to the computer I don't have a problem getting words down.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Stephen, I agree. I always have something to write. Hearts...for the kids I teach denial is a religious experience and they are acolytes.

Kate, flyswatter. Why not use a flogger?

Avery, you're welcome to join in. I agree. The absurdity factor is the only thing that will get me to write this. I wasn't going to participate, but the absurdity...

Chuck..I wish I could write full time. Maybe then I would be able to finish everything off.

SQT said...

Oh, love this one. I may not stop at absurdity though. I expect insanity to turn up somewhere.

Pythia3 said...

OK, so I actually did this one before I 'said' I was going to do it but then would jinx myself into not doing it and would feel like even more of a loser!
YEAH!
I am such a novice at fiction writing and I'm scared to show you my piece. But, eventually I will because I need your input and help.
Thanks for the assignment idea - see you Thursday.
Lindy :)

Stewart Sternberg said...

Does this mean I'm actually going to have to do this assignment? I like the challenge hear. Lot's of possibilities. Looking forward to Thursday. Sort of.

Turnbaby said...

Hmmmm--juicy idea---maybe I can carve out some time

SQT said...

Looking forward to Thursday

Does this mean we can turn it in a little later than today? I just haven't been able to get this done.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I will not publish any link until Friday. So, yeah. Send it late. Hell...I haven't even started anything.

SQT said...

I feel better now...