Monday, September 17, 2007

J

Watching Darren Brown closely, a theatrical person from the British Isles who uses psychology, manipulation and showmanship to pull off some amazing feats, I got an idea to try to duplicate one of the stunts I saw him perform on television.

The trick is simple...I make an "m'', a casual drawn out consonant, pressing my lips together. I rub my face a couple times, I even use my fingers to form an "M", crooking the first three fingers of my right hand. As I'm....U-m-m-m-m-m-m-m...doing this I tell the person across from me that I am picking a letter. "Ummmmmmmm", hand gesture...rub face...

"I'm picking a letter and I want you to tell me what it is. Just tell me the first one that comes to mind."

Now when Darren Brown did this on TV, the person across from him of course said: "M?" Absolutely correct!!!! Smashing!!!!

Me? About eight out of ten people have chosen the letter "J". WHAT ????

I'm obviously doing something to influence folks subliminally, but everything I try and do is supposed to manipulate a person into picking "M". Yet, eight out of ten pick "J".

Don't get me wrong. Having this many people picking "J" is pretty impressive. But I don't know how I do it.

16 comments:

spyscribbler said...

Stewart, you just crack me up. Your favorite hobby is playing people, isn't it?

Charles Gramlich said...

I've watched a few episodes of that show. I gotta tell you some of it is bullshit. But it's entertaining never the less.

Jon said...

What a cool trick! I'll tell you what...try it on me at our Thursday meeting and let's see if I pick J too!

miller580 said...

I got it. I figured it out.

OK...so your standing there making the m with your finger (subtle of course) and your saying ummmmmmmmm, ummmmmmm.

Now this will demonstrate exactly how the human mind works...

your doing the ummmm thing...and your participant is hearing mmmmmmm and immediately deep in their mind they hear mmmmm-M-Miller then they instantly associate Miller with Jim and Jim starts with J and so...they blurt out J.

It truly is amazing how the mind works. I am impressed.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Spy...messing with heads is what I do. You should see me in all my glory turned loose at school.

Chuck..yep..and Darren Brown freely calls it bullshit.

jon...Maybe we'll try this with John H. It is a cool trick. Wish I knew how it worked.


You know Jim, I think the J has stood for Jesus. I could be wrong. Of course when I think JIM...I think JESUS. So it's all related.

Franki said...

I'm thinking maybe your subconscience is fucking with you.

SQT said...

Perhaps you have a hook in your pinky finger. You may look like Dr. Evil and not even know it.

Donnetta Lee said...

"J"? Just 'cause.
Donnetta

Travis said...

Miller almost had it. But I really have it.

You made the ummmmmmm sound, which is similar to a yummy sound, and everyone knows that a yummy thing is jello, and jello starts with J.

See...child's play really.

miller580 said...

Come on Travis...Really? Jello? Isn't that a stretch?

I think Stewart has it...Jim = Jesus.

Jello...That's rich.

Stewart Sternberg said...

So last night we are at the writers thing and Jon says: "Do it. Do the letter thing." I do and the first person guesses "L". Well, I shrug and say: That's eight of twelve.

The next person picks K. "Nine out of eleven. Except when she explains that she had the instructions wrong and that the first letter she picked was 'J'. Which to me makes it nine of twelve.

And here's another strange thing. All the letters picked so far have been within a four letter range: "J,K,L,M"

avery said...

Now if you could only use your dark powers to make people bring you stuff.

SQT said...

Stu, where are you? Playing Halo 3?

Lucas Pederson said...

Perhaps, and this is just a thought, you accidentally sent them the letter "J" because, deep down, you're really a J-man. M's just won't cut it anymore....
I haven't stopped by in a while, and I miss coming here. Things have been horrible for with time lately and I need to get back in the groove of visiting my friends.
Great post fella!

seventh sister said...

You have been tagged at Shimoda's Dream.

disa said...

情趣用品,情趣,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風