Thursday, June 07, 2007

Road Less Travelled

Some lines just sort of stick with you.

Today I opened "The Detroit Free Press" and read this: "About 4 p.m. Wednesday, a caller told police dispatchers, “You are not going to believe this: There is a semi truck pushing a guy in a wheelchair on Red Arrow Highway,” state police said in a release."

According to the story, a 21 year old man was accidentally pushed down the highway for four miles by a semi going 50 mph. His wheelchair had become lodged in the truck's grill while it was parked at a service station. Well, yeah, I guess I can see how that can happen.

The state police managed to end the ride by intercepting the truck. The gentleman was unharmed and according to the police: "The man spilled his sodapop, but wasn't upset."

I understand that next week he's planning on lodging himself in the undercarriage of jumbo jet.

13 comments:

Jon said...

Sounds more like a scene from South Park or an Adam Sandler movie.

SQT said...

"The man spilled his sodapop."

And that's what seemed important at the time? See, this seems like a Cohen Brother's movie to me.

miller580 said...

I would love to see this video. I'm going to youtube right now...see if its there!

spyscribbler said...

Wow! He must be one cool cucumber. I'd be freaked out and scared!

Susan Miller said...

This is incredibly absurd, and I'm glad he's okay. 50mph in a wheelchair, what went through his mind? Sheesh!

Stewart Sternberg said...

Thanks jon, sqt, jim, spyscribbler, susan...I just want to know how this guy got wedged in there. It had to be deliberate. Either that, or he has to be one of the stupidest individuals alive. I don't know. It's like something you would see in a Jerry Lewis film. A bad Jerry Lewis film.

SourDad said...

I saw that today too, and wondered just how bad that guys gambling debts are.

sfgirl said...

I think he might be up for a Darwin award.

avery said...

I read this on The Daily Rotten. Seems he was rolling across the street and the truck driver didn't see him. I suppose he got wedged when the driver took off from a traffic light. Fortunately the dude was seat belted in, or it would have been a short trip.

To be that unperturbed, though, the dude either doesn't have all of his dogs barking or he's one hell of a Zen master.

BeckEye said...

Barring injury or death, that sounds like it would be great fun. If you can't get to the amusement park, bring the rides to you.

Thanks for your comments on my blog in the "guitar solos" topic. I never actually paid much attention to the guitar in "Sympathy for the Devil," as I've always been completely taken by the lyrics. That song is a masterpiece. I will go back, block out Mick and listen harder to Keef.

Fab said...

That's what they put in the news? A slow day or what?

Poor guy, being in a wheelchair is hard enough, but experiencing that ... and spilling the sodapop. I hope they helped him clean up at least.

DesLily said...

I wasn't going to comment..but I have a question..
If he was crossing a street and the truck took off... his wheelchair would be sideways...how the heck did he get turned so the handle grips were in the trucks grill?... just wondered.

Cappy said...

Where's Howard Dean and his "yeahhhhhh..." when you really need it!