Sunday, June 03, 2007

I Have Seen Things In Darkness....


I see things in darkness that no one should see by light of day.

That quote? I have no idea what it means. It's a quote that has been rambling around in my mind for years and presumably it's my own. I assume it means that I have seen things in my dreams that should never be realized. In sleep the ID is king, but in the day, we stop the evil child and control ourselves. To some degree.

I offer up an assignment to the Chesterfield group, and of course to the rest of you should you care to participate: take the phrase above and incorporate it directly into either a work of poetry or a work of short fiction. I will put a word limit on it of 500 - 1500 words. Usually an assignment is geared toward some aspect of writing, this is no exception. I have been talking with some people about word choice.

After this has been written, pick a minimum of ten words from the text, then use a thesaurus to find ten rich words to take their places. Be sure the new words enrich rather than detract. When submitting your work to the group, be sure to identify which words were replaced and what they were replaced by.

The deadline is June 12 th...as always, send me the links to anything you post and I will post them here so people can share and critique.

I will be sure to post a reminder or two about this....



Before I go, I received a meme by Angela. Although I try to not do these, I will here. Angela is a conservative who has to suffer my left wing political comments on her blog.

The meme: eight random things about me: 1) I think I would like to have lived in a time where I could have worn cordorouy pants, boots, and a lace shirt with flowing sleeves; 2) I am a passionate gamer and am halfway through "Resident Evil 4"...I thirst for an XBOX 360; 3) I don't like lotion...it gives me the willies; 4) I am a slob ; 5) I am the youngest of five children; 6) I hate hockey.

10 comments:

gem said...

Nice idea for a writing assignment. I am writing too much at work, spending too much time at the computer at work and come home brain dead. I've got to get a fire in my belly to create some new stuff, not just send out existing stuff. I do like that story starter, and thanks for stopping in, Stewart. What will you do over the summer?

Cappy said...

Hear my response!

I see things in darkness that no one should see by light of day.

And yet, one thing remains strong in my memory, like a pillar of light unto the unwashed of that state up north

It is the mighty lashing of the sardonic crowd, humbled at the awesomeness of the great LeBron

Stewart Sternberg said...

Yeah, wow...you know, I guess I underestimated the people of Ohio, Cappy. Of course it took a Michigan man (the current Cavaliers owner) to build a winner. Now let's see how the little Calves do against the west.

Gem..I am going to enjoy the little things and write write write. And read. And play videogames. And talk to the dogs. And work out.

James Burnett said...

I like that writing assignment. The quote is rich. As for your eight things, the lotion fear intrigues me. Not sure why. I used to slather myself in the stuff for fear of getting too dry-skinned. Now that I live in the constant humidity that is Miami, I don't need lotion.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Okay..James...that's just gross. And it has nothing to do with the "Silence of the Lambs" thing. It's just that lotion gives me the heebie jeebies.

Travis said...

Interesting. I may give this a try.

SQT said...

I've been looking forward to another writing assignment.

ShadowFalcon said...

I never would have picked you as a resident evil 4 fan!

etain_lavena said...

jelllloooo.....I will take part....
geez big family 5 kids:)
Enjoy the week:)

Jon said...

I'm in...but be careful...that line is quite poetic and I bet you'll see a lot of them. As to the thesaurus part, I'll give it a shot but, hell, if iI didn't like the words I used in the first place, I wouldn't have used them. Still, it might be fun. Thanks.