Friday, May 18, 2007

The Tigers ...Ouchies


I don't like to complain about my baseball team...but last October I thought: "Offseason? Well, we're going to need some power, and maybe a reliever or two."

What did we do? We got two old men: Gary Sheffield and Jose Mesa. That's it. I couldn't believe it. I think one reason we were able to get Gary Sheffield was because he was on the mend. Something the Tigers tend to do. Rodriguez was on the mend when we picked him up. As was Ordonez. As was Planco. What the hell.

Now we stand with Bonderman on the DL, Rogers out until some time in August (if he comes back) and Zumaya gone for about six weeks. Boy, those offseason choices have come back to bite us on the butt.

Will the Tigers return to the championship? I still think they stand a good chance. But Boston is a behemoth to overcome. And our own weaknesses will haunt us.