Thursday, April 26, 2007

Playing Along


I never do memes..or tags...or whatever. However, since it was deslily, I'll make an exception for once.

Apparently, I first have to name three book characters I would like to meet. Hmmmm....
1) James Bond [ I would like to sit across a bacarat table from him with enough money in my bank that it didn't matter]
2) Ray Kinsella [the main character from "Shoeless Joe", known in film as "Field of Dreams]. It would be nice to sit in the bleachers with him to talk about baseball, magic, and life...which are all the same thing after all.
3)Spencer [the hero from the Robert B. Parker books]. Actually, I'd like to go to Fenway Park with Spencer, and perhaps Jon Zech. We'd invite Kinsella along, enjoy a day in a real ballpark, and after, we could take in some entertainment at a local establishment that also serves alcohol.

Three Characters I would like to be...
1)James Bond. I wonder if there is a pattern here.
2)Sherlock Holmes
3)Aragorn, son of Arathorn. (hey...he gets to be king)

Three Characters I from books that I fear...

1) Cthulhu..if you have to be afraid of someone, why not a god that sleeps waiting in an undersea city, waiting for the right alignment of the stars so that it can rise and reclaim its dominion?
2)Rev. James Maloney. This is one of the main characters of a novel I am marketing. Why is he on this list? Because I feel there is too much of him within me. Evil, cruel, self absorbed, controlling, charismatic, manipulative...Stewart!!!!
3) The demon Pazuzu from "The Exorcist"

18 comments:

SQT said...

I didn't steal Bond. I swear. I always intended to use Bond in my meme.

Am I protesting too much?

DesLily said...

wow, great list!... thanks for doing it Stewart! (noting you didn't want to be or meet Captain Kirk! LOL LOL).. never mind.

Q said...

The new Bond guy looks more like a hockey player than a secret agent. But who wouldn't want to roll in the hay with Pussy Galore?

Helen said...

That's a good meme! Some of them are just quite pointless! I visited your site today because I haven't visited in a while, and I miss your writing! So I came back!
Helen xx

Stewart Sternberg said...

SQT..Bond can't be stolen, he can only be shared.
Deslily, it's been my pleasure. I'm not a big fan of these, as I'm sure you know, but I am a fan of deslily.

q...I like the roughness of the new Bond. It was time to return to the Ian Fleming Bond, the assassin, the tortured spy.

Helen, you're welcome back. How are things on your side of the world?

Charles Gramlich said...

hum, all the characters I want to be are from fantasy, like John Carter of Mars.

Matt said...

Memes. A word that's been around since the '60s. But annoying when part of the blogger argot.

James Burnett said...

I like the Demon Pazuzu character. That would be a twisted hoot. And I'm with you on Bond. What guy doesn't want to be him for at least an evening?

DesLily said...

You must be running a temperature Stewart!.. no one has ever said anything so nice!.. darn, now I have to go back to SQTs blog and take back all I said about you!

(thanks stewart)

Christina said...

I see Cthulhu on so many things now. Is it one book or many? I need to read it. It's like a literature symbol that is passing me by.

Kate S said...

I wanna be Winnie the Pooh. I've already got the build for it.

Lucas Pederson said...

Okay...can someone please explain to me what in the Zeusious butthole a MEME is?
Anyway...I think I'd like to be Roland of Gilead from Stephen King's Dark Tower books. I don't know why since he's such a tormented soul, maybe it's just because he kicks ass with revolvers, like Clint Eastwood used too.
The character I think I fear the most is still, Dracula. He's the all time boogie. Although, the Cthulhu is one scary mother if ever there was one too. So, I'm not so sure. The creature from It would be another freaky character.

SQT said...

Lol Lucas.

I thought about putting Dracula on my list. Just good, old fashioned, scary Dracula.

Susan Miller said...

I can't help myself....everytime I read the name Rev. James Maloney I smile. This most likely means that I'm evil. Oh well.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Charles, do you think the fantasy appeal is that secretly you'd like to run around in boots, a loin cloth, wielding a big sword?

Matt...I hate memes...hate them. I am also not a big fan of things like Manic Mondays, Wordless Wednesday, etc...I am a snob. I know it. But those days seemed canned and something to use when you have nothing to write.

I want to be James Burnett for a weekend, but then your wife would complain...and of course I'd have to change diapers, so forget it.

deslily, don't you worry about jibes. I handle them well. Just look out for the return volleys.

Kate, I once read a Winnie the Pooh book of essays that was brilliantly acerbic. I can't remember the name now, I'll look it up.

Christina..I'll talk more about Cthulhu in a comment on your blog.

Lucas, I just can't get into the Stephen King Dark Towers. Maybe I will give it a try this summer. I've developed an allergy to anything new written by King. I keep saying the man needs an editor.

SQT...Dracula is great, but only the real dracula from the novel and not the myth that has evolved over the years. It astonishes me how many people know a character and think they know the character without reading the original source material.

Susan Miller...James Maloney is seductive, isn't he. Not the devil, but the man is so sinful that his deeds and thoughts resonate within us all.

Turnbaby said...

Hmmmm--let's see I think it might be interesting to be Rachael from Blade Runner--and then maybe Deckard. See things from both sides

Sidney said...

You know, after the day out with the guys you should stop back by Spenser's place and let him whip up some dinner. He's quite a cook.

ShadowFalcon said...

I think I'd pick Gandalf over Aragorn, I have a number of questions for him, thats assuming he would answer. Interesting choices.