Saturday, April 14, 2007

Indulging the Imagination

I have always been a fan of picture books. I enjoy visual stimulation. That's why Google, that strange international corporation who has squat itself down in Ann Arbor, Michigan has been such a blessing for me. When I am looking for inspiration, or when I'm terribly bored and the dogs have gone into hiding, I click on the google.com, tap the heading for images, and type in a word. For instance, if I type in "Addition" look at the first few images that pop up:




Now I'm not saying this is awe inspiring, but it does make you start thinking up other words or word combinations and wondering what pictures they will yield. For instance: BLOOD FRUIT
(hey, it's my brain, so you have to expect that sort of thing)



I especially like the the trees to the right. Some of the images that pop up when you type in BLOOD FRUIT can be understandably disturbing. For some reason several images of people being lynched were among the results displayed.

Ultimately, I'm for anything or anyone that can stimulate my imagination. As a writer, the imagination is a valuable asset and I want to indulge it as much as possible.

6 comments:

SQT said...

I'm about half tempted to do a search on blood fruit now.

Kate S said...

I'm worried about you, Stewart...

Jon said...

Blood fruit...probably related to the blues song "Strange Fruit" sung by Billie Holliday. It was about lynchings.

Steve Malley said...

I use image search instead of a paper morgue for drawing reference, but I never thought of just trolling it.

Great idea!

deslily said...

I use the image search a lot.. but I will admit I have never typed in blood anything lol..and now I know I wont!


it seems as though I am kicked off of my own blog.. for now you can find me at these addresses:

deslily.wordpress.com

http://journals.aol.com/deslily/HereThereandEverywhere/

Travis said...

Such a simple exercise. Thanks for the tip.