Saturday, March 17, 2007

GOD


At a writers group meeting some years back I was surrounded by Christian ladies who wrote inspirational work. God bless them. When they read my work though, I could tell some of them found it a wee disturbing. One lady leaned over and put a hand on my forearm.

"Must you always write so darkly?" she asked.

I smiled, thanking her for her feedback. Darkly? I hadn't even shown her the story about the adulterer who is tied to the bed while a woman pulls a razor blade from under her tongue and promises him unimaginable delights. I hadn't shared the one about the old reprobate who haunted topless bars and manipulated young women into suicide. I hadn't given her the tale about the lumberjack who, cursed by a dryad, finds his sex organ changing with the seasons, withering in the fall and eventually falling off come winter.

So I wrote them a story. A special tale for the Church Ladies in writers group. It was called: GOD.

I would love to share it with you here, but instead you'll have to wait for its publication in the online quarterly: Mytholog. I imagine it will make an appearance sometime in the next couple months. I'll let you know.

In the meantime I will break with my tradition of not serving up my published work for perusal and instead give you the link to Susurrus Magazine. If you follow the link you'll find another of my stories, "Fishing With The Little People", something I wrote last summer after having read the Hemingway Nick Adam's stories. I hope you enjoy it. I'll let you know when GOD arrives...or for some of you...rearrives.

24 comments:

Carol said...

That's just mean! You led me up to this just to let me know I have to wait? Please let me know when the Story will be ready here for me to read. Thanks!
Carol

Stewart Sternberg said...

Sorry Carol...but may I suggest an equally disturbing, if not more so, tale: Fishing with the Little People. Just follow the link provided in the posting.

Kate S said...

Hey - congrats on another submission and publication!

Susan Miller said...

Yes, congratulations Stu! Funny..I read God and didn't find it disturbing....but I hurt when I thought of the hooks going through the Little People. Weird, huh?

Charles Gramlich said...

I read the "Little People" story. You clearly have the instincts of a horror writer. Well done. It's a tale I won't soon forget.

Christina said...

I have a few people who say that to me too. These same people are trying to convince me to write in another genre, one that is more pleasant.

Can't wait to read your story when it comes out. Congratulations by the way. I need to start looking for places to submit to.

Cappy said...

Ha ha. God's computer. He's not using vi edit. Proof positive that God hates Unix.

spyscribbler said...

That was a story, all right! :-) It even engaged me emotionally, even though most such stories don't. Just goes to prove that the key to engaging a reader is sharing a common experience--even if it's just an emotion.

Keep us posted about God! Not too long ago, my editor asked me to turn a couple of my novellas into Christian erotica.

Um, no thanks. The dark side is SO much more fun!

Stewart Sternberg said...

Thanks Kate. I continue to forge through it.

Sue, Fishing With The Little People is a disturbing story. I agree. But some of the more religious sort thought "God" threatened their view of their deity.

Thank you Charles, that is a high compliment.

Christina, people have been trying to steer me in different directions my entire life.

Cappy,God actually has stopped using computers. I have it on the deity's authority that he is now tech free. It's some kind of back to nature kick. Go figure.

Spyscribbler, what the hell is Christian erotica? I laughed hard when I read that term. What..do the people have sex and then feel guilty about it?

Travis said...

Thanks for sharing the link to that story - quite disturbing, on several levels.

I was particularly struck by the theme of disdain - disdain for the little people, the disdain of a father for his son, and certainly the horrific disdain of the son for his father.

Congratulations on the publication of your God story.

Donnetta Lee said...

Looking forward to seeing God. Getting ready to follow the link. Do you ever sleep? I enjoy all your posts. Donnetta

Donnetta Lee said...

Stu: Back again. Just read "Fishing". You know there are many big people who fish with the little people. Enjoyed. Donnetta

The Man at the Pub said...

Without the darkness, how could we appreciate the light?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Interesting story, "Fishing With The Little People." Congrats on your recent acceptance also.

ShadowFalcon said...

Whats wrong with being Dark, the darkness lets us ask the difficult questions

etain_lavena said...

hihihih...rearives....funny...and some sneaky shize with the blade and the dude and the sex and the I am scared:)

Matt said...

I'll have to read these when I get a chance today.

Lucas Pederson said...

Excellent story!!!!! I loved it when the hooks went through the little people! Call me morbid, and maybe I am, but this was a real good story, be it horror or not. I'll never forget it.
Emotionally, it was exquisit!
Great writing! And congrats to the tenth power for getting yet another submitted story published! Rock on.

SourDad said...

Nice modern twist on the fishing story, and you didn't even need to throw in a GameBoy. I'm not a bait fisherman, but I doubt casting flies would make much difference.

Nice story Stewart. The opening is really good.

Lee said...

Can't wait to read it!

Turnbaby said...

Congrats Stewart!! Ihave to come back in a bit and read "fishing" . I'm 'gardening' on mine today *giggling* and tomorrow the final installment of Perverse Reverse goes up.

Sidney said...

Just read your "Little People" story. Very nice narrative, it held me all the way through. Good job!

Alex said...

You have some weird penis issues, don't you, there, chief?

jedimerc said...

I know the feeling, btw, about having to be away from the blogs and such. My convention schedule will be doing that, has done that, really, over the next few months or so.

I love that Far Side. I used to own a t-shirt version of it. Was my favorite t-shirt for a long time :) (we all need a smite button)