Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ripping ahead

Let me begin this post by acknowledging that I have once again backed a losing team. Whoa, there's something novel. Congratulations all you Manning fans. Chicago? We are enemies again. I have decided to cheer for the Lions yet again. And you know my stance on the evil White Sox. Wayne, beware. This is war. All that being said, I will now proceed with our regularly scheduled blog.

Well, I have received my quickest acceptance. I sent out a story entitled "Fishing With The Little People" on Saturday, and on Sunday morning I received an acceptance letter. That's less than 24 hours. And I'll even be compensated. Five dollars. Hmmm. Okay, so it's not enough to buy an XBOX, but at least the short story, which has been sitting on the harddrive, will receive some minor attention. I suspect I stand a better chance making money with the anthologies. And of course, I am still trying to find an agent for my novel.

If any of you know an agent, please put in a good word for me.

At this time I am continuing with my plan: to get out at least one hundred submissions by the end of the year. So far I have eight things out, with one acceptance and one rejection. By Wednesday or Thursday I hope to have another story into the mix. At the rate I am going, if I don't hit a wall, I think I am going to be able to go well over a hundred. This Spring I will also start sending stuff out through snail mail, although I prefer to do the electronic submissions.

And people, it's only eleven days until Spring.

15 comments:

Lucas Pederson said...

Congrats on the acceptance!!! One more publishing credit to your name. Who bought it? Just curious. I want to read the story. Determination is the name of the game, right? Sure.
Yeah. The Bears started out so good. With that record breaker after kickoff and all. Then everything just sort of flopped. Oh well. But hey, who am I to complain I root for the Raiders.

Travis said...

Fantastic news on the acceptance!

As for the Bears, one must never tempt destiny. The cosmic football gods decreed that Peyton must be a champion and a SB MVP. And so he is.

Donnetta Lee said...

Stewart: Congratulations! You are well on your way to the big 100! Well, that is $5 more than you had before and so nice to be recognized. Also, readers will enjoy! Donnetta

SQT said...

Wow, one day. It must've been really good.

Of course it was.

Jesus, they want me to write a book on this word verification.......

Susan Miller said...

Good for you, Stu! And I so enjoyed Mrs. Sternberg's commentary on the last post. May you both have a great Monday! Isn't this supposed to be some type of holiday?

etain_lavena said...

Wowi...., thats so kewl, goodluck with the rest.

gem said...

Congratulations, Stewart! Every acceptance gives one confidence, don't you think. I'm doing this query challenge: 10 queries a month. I need to develop some new pieces to send out 10 queries a month because my second novel isn't finished let alone polished. I'd love to read your fish story. And electronic submission is so handy, isn't it. Have a great week!

Charles Gramlich said...

Good news! Congratulations. Five dollars spends just as well as any other amount. And it's five you didn't have before.

Bird on a Wire said...

Congratulations on the quick acceptance!

Good luck on finding an agent.

miller580 said...

Congrats! So Share with us. Where is it being published? and when? We all want to see and read it.

I had a feeling Grossman wouldn't pull it off. But hey, he got to the Superbowl, and he'll be back.

It was a learning experience...he still needs a few scars.

Does this mean that Peyton is going to be in MORE commercials?

James Burnett said...

Congrats on the acceptance Stewart. Gotta tell you, you inspire me. I know I write full-time. But it's a news thing and doesn't always take the creative thought that I'm sure you're putting into your short stories and anthologies. After reading this post I think I'll go home today and work on my books. Good stuff, friend.

BTW, I backed the Bears too. It wasn't so much that I wanted 'em to win 'cause for once I liked both teams. It was just that I thought they would win. What team better to win than an upper Midwestern team accustomed to playing outdoors - sometimes in crappy weather? Figures the team that plays in even temperatures with a roof over their heads to protect 'em from the elements would pull this one off.

But I'm no sore loser. Kudos to Peyton, Dungy, and the Colts.

Kate S said...

Congratulations, Stewart! :) If the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step, then the journey to a thousand dollars starts with a single penny--so look, you're already ahead of the game! :)

Speaking of games, I knew the Bears would lose when they started off like they did. I just felt it--it would be downhill from there, and they sucked the rest of the game. It was sad. Oh, well.

Now I'm back to my blog break. Congrats, again.

Christina Rundle said...

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!

I need to get my short stories published. Well, I need to work on writing short stories.

I think I caught Lucas's cold. Now I'm feeling grumpy and yucky.

lee said...

ss -don't spend it all in one place :).

That must be so exciting to get something published,I'm sure the money is a secondary thing.Good onya!

jedimerc said...

Congrats on the acceptance, of course, and I know all too well the pain of backing a loser... Rangers and Cubs fan... *sigh* ah, but spring brings the renewal of hope that one day, we will see *snort* a... *can't contain laughter* Rangers/Cubs Series... Probably sooner see a Cardinals/Texans Super Bowl...

Thank goodness for the Mavericks, we wallowed in darkness for so long :)