Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Magic


"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

Shhhh...I believe. I believe in faeries. I do. I believe that on humid summer nights, they move through the tall grass, whispering to the darkness and singing songs that speak to our loneliness. I believe in the crackling of midnight, the tension of that hour, the tilting balance from day to night and back again.

I believe that behind the most ordinary closet door is a miraculous vista, with rolling green hills bearing daisy ornaments and alive with an explosion of dandelion fluff.

I believe in magic. I don't try and figure out how David Copperfield or David Blaine do what they do. I just believe.

Maybe it's because I don't have religion. Maybe it's human nature to embrace the remarkable, to reach beyond the mundane. Whatever the reason, I believe in magic. It's what I draw upon to write.

Nathaniel Hawthorne used a fountain for his metaphor. The magic which brings forth creation is what springs from that fountain. Magic gives us a sense of wonder. It pulls that wonder from our childhood and gives it back to us so that we may once again drape ourself in its freshness and innocence.

I believe in magic.

Where does your creativity come from? Me? I've a date tonight with a young lady. We're going to wait for the rabbit and then follow him down the hole, or perhaps through a mirror. Maybe we'll see if we can find the boy who has lost his shadow and follow him as he heads for that first star on the right and follows it straight on to morning.

15 comments:

Donnetta Lee said...

I too believe and always will. And this belief has stood me in good stead through many many years. It's the sparkle that sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear. Donnetta

SQT said...

I have believed in magic since I was a child. The will o' the wisp beckoned at my window and I've been following it ever since.

mist1 said...

I am pretty sure that my creativity comes from mania. Or wine. Or a combination of the two.

Clifford said...

Slightly off topic, but in fourth grade I was made to memorize The Jabborwocky...and it freakin scarred me for life!!!

What a horrible horrible thing to do to a kid! I went home, poured over it for hours, tears streaming down my face as I tried to make sense of the nonsensical. I think I would have enjoyed it as an adult, or even a teen, but it's ruined for me.

And yes, I can still recite it. Sigh.

DesLily said...

I love this post Stewart. So much nicer then scaring the doo doo out of me..lol..

I don't know where "whatever creativity I have" comes from.. I just know I like to escape reality.

I don't like thinking that we are born, live but a short time, with a mixture of unhappy and happy moments, and die.

When I do escape, anything is possible...even not dieing. All sorts of wonderful thing can happen and there are no limits to anyone, no matter what religion, color, politics etc.. everyone can run away for a while and be whatever they wished they could be, do things they can only dream about and be as happy as they wish they were.

Charles Gramlich said...

This is beautifully written and easily and effortlessly creates a mood. As for creativity, all I know is that I was always a strange child, called imaginative by some, lazy by others. I'm leaning toward biology as an explanation, but for all we know of those elements of biology we might as well call it magic.

Lucas Pederson said...

Ah yes, magic. I believe in it. I too believe there are fairies out there, as I believe there are lumbering giants and rotten trolls. And I believe, that magic flows through those who also believe. And those who harness that magic can use it to create worlds. It's beautiful.

Kate S said...

Lovely, Stewart. Do I detect an upswing in mood? :)

Couldn't tell you where the creativity comes from though.

Edie said...

Beautiful writing. I always clapped for Tinkerbelle, and I do believe in magic. But my creativity comes out of necessity most of the time. I'm sitting in front of the computer, and I need to write. So I do. The other tiny portion is the magic time, when the ideas and the words come out of air.

Travis said...

Wonderful. I believe in magic and ghosts. Perhaps I should remember that more often.

Turnbaby said...

Ah Stewart *smiling* Yessssss
I do--in all things--such a lovely way to put it.

And of all things


there is a special magic



that we all chase down that rabbit hole

and the soundtrack brings forth.....
The Lovin Spoonful



Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

I hope you had a magical time Stewart

Smooch

Christina Rundle said...

Ohh, pretty. I like this post.

Faeries are my favorite, next to unicorns. Maybe that is why I love "Tithe" and many, many other books on the subject matter.

jedimerc said...

I think that magic has its moments... life is magical when we are not trying to blow each other to kingdom come. Writing, to me, is the magic in all of us :)

Crunchy Carpets said...

Ever since I walked widdershins in a faery ring have I believed.

Last night it was gorgeous crisp clear night..not a CLOUD in the sky and a HUGE moon.

The stars looked amazing..Orions belt was almost right over us.

When you can see the heavens laid out before you like that....you KNOW there is magic

gugon said...

Stewart, I could have written this post myself (albeit not so eloquently).

I believe in magic as well. It's the reason I write. I believe the act of writing is magic. And every artistic endeavor that I've applied myself to has been an attempt to capture and preserve a small piece of that magic.

Thank you for this post. 'Twas brillig.