Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's A Pet's Life


Why writing assignments? They began at the Bay Area Writers as something to push people to write. I put some of these assignments on the blog here so members could come and see what to work on for the next meeting (with the understanding that these assignments were voluntary--some people were working on short stories, novels, etc.). A few people on the web asked if they could do the assignments as well, and so here we are...

Pet's Life

This assignment is due next Wednesday. I will post links to pages of those who have chosen to participate and who have posted the assignment. Please email me your links on Wednesday.

The assignment: Write a story from a pet's perspective, alhough not using first person. The point here is to work on POV, something that gives many authors difficulty. Your story may be in any genre. It must be under two thousand words.

12 comments:

Lucas Pederson said...

This'll be fun. And I think I'll get a head start on this one, maybe it'll be better than my version of Head Rush. :-)

jedimerc said...

My dad did a great story with this variation, though some didn't get it.

I will definitely have to see what I can come up with, though I am editing another long story that I plan on posting over the weekend.

SQT said...

Oooh, a challenge (third person-- for me?) ;)

I've never written anything from an animals pov, so this should be interesting.

Crunchy Carpets said...

animal pov but not first person...

hmmmm eemmmmmm

zorak163 said...

This would be a lot of fun - once I'm done with my move I'd love to participate so make sure to post another one soon!

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

stewart, i have spent the last hour at the print shop telling people not to let you control their very souls. but i know you can no longer be contained......

Susan Miller said...

Good...something to distract me from cleaning house and paying bills. I was hoping for a distraction.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Lucas, looking forward to it. Jedi...I like what you posted to your website this last week. Here's to creativity and sensibility.
Sqt..the POV thing is something that I've been working on myself. This one woman gave me a story to read that ran about three thousand words. I think it had about six Points of View and a Scooby Doo ending. Ruh Roh.

Crunchy, tape a pen to your dog's paw and ask him to write about his/or her first coming of puppy age experience. Maybe next time Zorak.

Wayne, I have only one thing to say to you: I have seen things in light of day that most people should not see by darkness.

Go, Sue, GO.

Pythia3 said...

Didn't I already do this one? The cat! LOL!
Did you ever see that IFC short about the end of the world and that homeless guy who acted like a family's pet dog to eat the scraps. That was until the family ran out of food and the father looked at the son and said something like, you know some people eat dog meat . . . very dark short film!

Rach said...

cool idea. I suck at writing when I have an assignment so I won't be participating, but I'm interested in reading others work.

Christina Rundle said...

You know when I first read this, I thought 1st person would be great. Now that 1st person is being taken away, I'll have to play with this. I've read a few animal stories, but writing in their POV is a little hard.

Another challenge.

I don't disappear for long, I just have short fits.

Meander said...

where do you get your ideas for your writing assignments? you come up with some really creative story starters.