Thursday, January 04, 2007

B-a-a-a-a-a-d Words. Go To The Corner

Some lists can be fun. Here is one from Lake Superior State University's (Michigan's smallest university, with an enrollment of 3,000 students)English department. It's an excerpt from their annual list of banished words. "Ba-a-a-a-ad words. Bad. Go to the corner."

The following was taken directly from the univerity website (http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php):


GITMO -- The US military's shorthand for a base in Cuba drives a wedge wider than a split infinitive.

COMBINED CELEBRITY NAMES -- Celebrity duos of yore -- BogCall (Bogart and Bacall), Lardy (Laurel and Hardy), and CheeChong (Cheech and Chong) -- just got lucky.

AWESOME -- Given a one-year moratorium in 1984, when the Unicorn Hunters banished it "during which it is to be rehabilitated until it means 'fear mingled with admiration or reverence; a feeling produced by something majestic."

WE'RE PREGNANT -- Grounded for nine months.

UNDOCUMENTED ALIEN -- "If they haven't followed the law to get here, they are by definition 'illegal.' It's like saying a drug dealer is an 'undocumented pharmacist.'" -- John Varga, Westfield, New Jersey.

PWN or PWNED -- Thr styff of lemgendz: Gamer defeats gamer, types in "I pwn you" rather than I OWN you.

NOW PLAYING IN THEATERS -- Heard in movie advertisements.

ARMED ROBBERY/DRUG DEAL GONE BAD -- From the news reports.

TRUTHINESS – "This word, popularized by The Colbert Report and exalted by the American Dialectic Society's Word of the Year in 2005 has been used up.

ASK YOUR DOCTOR -- The chewable vitamin morphine of marketing

i-ANYTHING -- 'e-Anything' made the list in 2000.

18 comments:

Susan Miller said...

That list is AWESOME!!!

SQT said...

Great list. I especially love that GITMO is on there.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I think one of the words or phrases that should be banned is "Discuss." I HATE when a journalist turns to a guest and says: "Discuss this subject.." or "Discuss that subject".

How about just asking a damn specific question or maybe doing your homework.

Asara Dragoness said...

BAH! I fart on that list. I will continue to pwn until Blizzard goes out of business! I even got a shirt for Christmas that says I pwn noobs, so again I say BAH! :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Lardy and Cheechong are now in my lexicon. I will use them at least once a day. As for banning words. I vote to ban the word "fuck" from lyrics. That might require some creativity then. But for now, I gotta gitmo lardy and cheechong in my livelong. Later salivators.

Rach said...

I'm going with charles gramlich...ban "fuck" from lyrics...lets see what those rappers do now.

They banned the "N" word from the laugh factory. I think that calls for the banning of all racial slurs.

Stewart Sternberg said...

Several years ago I gave thought to being a stand up comedian. However, as I watched the HBO folk for content and delivery, I realized I would never be succesful. I wasn't going to rely on a string of obscenities, or lapse into racist or misogynistic humor (did I spell that right?, nor would I spend an inordinate amount of time on scatalogical material.

I would have been more along the lines of a left leaning Dennis Miller. My wit would have been articulate and my material politically oriented.

I agree...I am so tired of "F this" getting a laugh. Of course, Shakespeare was scatalogical so what do I know?

DesLily said...

a stand up comedian for a teacher... hmmm, I think I would have enjoyed that!

molly said...

i definitely agree about the celebrity names...it was so clever with bennifer, and now EVERY celebrity couple has a name like that.

i challenge you to find one that doesnt.

the lovin spoonful (though i prefer john sebastian solo) and buffalo springfield ROCK.

gem said...

Ha! I just told my boss that I hated the "we're pregnant" line. Who's pregnant, I asked him? Who's carrying the baby? It's imprecise and it annoys me.

Maddy said...

I think that 'truthiness' is a rather useful noun. Otherwise, this list merits my approval.

mist1 said...

We'd better not be pregnant.

ShadowFalcon said...

Where have the words been bannished to?

Avery said...

Can we ban "Paris Hilton?" Please?

Susan Miller said...

I am thinking Maloney has now captured you. Will it be that your wife will now consider him a B-a-a-a-a-a-a-d Word?

You're missed, Stu!

molly said...

I've heard of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, but I had no idea he actually set himself on fire! That's rock n roll. I'll try to hunt some of his stuff down.

ian said...

Hi Stewart!

Fun stuff - Playboy publishes lists like this frequently. I don't think any of their buzzwords have made it into my personal lexicon, but they're still fun to read nonetheless. Oh, and the pictures usually aren't bad either.

I hopped over here at Gem's recommendation. I like what I see here. I'll come back again.

Ian

Helen said...

Oooh, what a good list. I like a good list!
Helen