Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Weird Addiction




Charles Gramlich, author of "Cold In The Light" (a book to pick up if you like horror) and a man with his own entry in wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Gramlich), addressed the issue on his blog site about whether or not blogging is useful for a writer. My answer is: YES. If nothing else, it puts you into a community of writers and allows for an exchange of ideas. It's also a great online journal.

That being said..someone asked me about the next assignment. To be honest, I was holding off because it looks as though the writers' group meeting this week in Chesterfield may not be going forward. Actually...I'm pretty sure of it. There is one woman whose address I don't have, so if you are reading this...no meeting this week. Anyway, that is why I haven't posted the assignment. But since I've had a couple requests...here it is:


WEIRD ADDICTION

Write a short story about addiction, keeping it to under a thousand words. The idea is to write about an addiction or even a fetish that is out of the ordinary; perhaps something a bit dark and unsavory, or something a bit silly. Your choice, although you probably know which direction I'm heading. Let's keep all contributions limited to an G,PG, PG13, or R, with anything R-17 being offered by email only.

Further instruction: mix it up. Check to make sure you aren't just writing 'subject,predicate' over and over. Throw in participle phrases, appositives, absolutes, and adjectives out of order. That is the purpose of the assignment, to take your writing style and consciously try to spice it up. If you want more information about spicing up your let me steer you to this site :
http://www3.uakron.edu/noden/list/list.html Professor Noden has good information there about the abovementioned writing tools.

So, Weird Addiction..is the next assignment. Due Wednesday of next week. Once you've completed the assignment, email me the link and on Thursday, I will post the links of those who have participated.

11 comments:

SQT said...

This sounds fun.

Beth said...

I used to LOVE to write and I'm so drawn to do this but man, I don't know how I'd find the time. But I can't wait to read the entries!

Sheila said...

I love to write and will always write but it does take some time. I try to squeeze it in here and there while I watch my nieces (usually while they are napping like now) but I am so glad I started a blog because it puts me in touch with so many different kinds of people and it helps me to write almost everyday. I look forward to sharing my posts, my pictures, and to leave my comments with people. It makes me feel good.

mist1 said...

Weird addictions, huh?

Is this open to anyone?

Susan Miller said...

Sounds like great fun!

Meander said...

I am glad to hear that you feel blogging helps a writer. This gives me much fodder for a future post. Tell me more about these assignments...

deslily said...

hi Stewart.. re: you comment on my blogsite..
I'm not a writer. I just found myself writing one day and wrote for 2 yrs lol... but nothing worth anything. Trust me, I'm not a writer. That said, I still love my characters (fantasy fiction) and still like to spend time with them, even if it's only in my mind.
I played with "cover art" and played with trying to draw some of the characters... it entertains this old lady! lol.. the long bar on my side panel showing small drawings are them.

You educating folks keep trying to find writers lol.. sorry to disappoint you...just an old fart here!

btw I may not comment here alot but I do read your blog and love the sci fi fantasy blog sqt has that you also contribute to.

Cindy said...

I didn't realize you handed out homework. I'm going to have to re-evaluate our blog friendship.

Crunchy Carpets said...

I am in!
I just wrot a wee thing......inspiration!!

I hope when I look at in the morning I don't chicken out!

Clifford said...

Sounds like fun!

Stewart Sternberg said...

I look forward to reading some of your entries...and hey, no pressure. If you don't write, then maybe you'll at least enjoy reading some of these.

I know we'll have some lively participants.