Sunday, December 24, 2006

A HOLIDAY GREETING

At this time of year, people tend to take stock and focus on change, noting that which is worth keeping and that which they should let go. Maybe it's the equinox, the shifting from one season to another as we prepare to meet another year. Maybe it's the imporantance of awareness and realigning one's priorities.

Allow me to offer you a short short passage from "Palpable Illusion" by Stewart Sternberg. We'll ignore Rev. James Maloney, and instead focus on Adam Hart, the book's 'hero', for want of a better word.

As they moved through the village, Ibu talked without pause and Adam listened with rapt attention. The man’s charm was irresistible. Along their path they stopped often so that Ibu could introduce Adam to his neighbors. Word of Adam’s confrontation with Sharkey had spread and all greeting him warmly. One man reached out and touched Adam’s lip, speaking quickly in hushed tones.

“What?” asked Adam.

“He wants you to laugh for him,” interpreted Ibu. “He thinks your laughter is magic. He thinks your laughter turned away Sharkey’s bullets.”

Adam couldn’t help laughing and the man made a snatching gesture at his lips. Adam watched the strange gesture and looked to Ibu for clarification.

“He thinks he has captured a bit of your magic and will take it home with him to bless his house.”

“He is welcome to it.”


And so, here is my Christmas greeting to all of you..whatever magic I can offer you through my writing, my laughter, my words..."you are welcome to it".

HAPPY HOLIDAY.

12 comments:

Crunchy Carpets said...

Kind and wise words Stewart.....

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Stewart, this made me smile. Laughter IS magical, and kind wishes reach all who make themselves available.

In your profile, you mention the absurdity of the human condition. My blog's original title was "Quaintness & Absurdity in Everyday Life," which I changed to its present one because it was slightly shorter.

Lucas Pederson said...

Stewart, thank you for this passage, it was great. And thnak for your kindness. You have yourself a happy holidays as well.

deslily said...

I think you and Patch Adams are on to something... something good.
It may not be a cure, but it sure does help!

I hope you laugh your way thru the coming year!

Jenika said...

Happy Holidays Stewart.

SQT said...

You have given me many laughs Stewart.

Christina Rundle said...

Ahh, I like that. Many warm wishes. I took a bit of your magic last week, so I'll let someone have it this week.

Happy Holidays.

Desirea Madison said...

Merry Christmas, Stewart. Thanks for your comments!

Sheila said...

This time of the year always makes me frustrated, the shopping and the traffic, but when my family comes over all of that melts away and the sheer joy settles in of being with my family on Christmas. Happy Holidays!

Chuck Zaglanis said...

Happy Holidays my friend. I hope the new year sees your writing finally earn the success it deserves.

Lori Witzel said...

Ahhh. Thanks for that, and likewise.

Bird on a Wire said...

And Happy Holidays to you! I enjoy your writing, so please keep it up.