Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Dead Pool


As the new year approaches, I find myself thinking of the Dead Pool. I know, it's vulgar, tasteless, and tacky. The three T's. wait...make that Turgid, Tasteless, and Tacky. There, the Three T's. Some of you are wondering what the hell I am referring to. Well, it seems that there are some crude individuals out there who will make lists of people who they think will die in the coming year. Then, whoever has the most dead at year's end ---wins. Some Dead Pools even offers odds. People will bet on anything.

I would never have thought to put James Brown or Steve Erwin on the list. Nor would I have thought to enter Baseball Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett, Actor Darin McGavin, or Actor Dennis Weaver. However, Gerald Ford would have been a no-brainer.

Usually picks are chosen according to age and behavior. For instance, someone who is hitting their nineties is on borrowed time. Wait, was that crude? Someone who is hitting their nineties is in the twilight years. That's better. Those are the easy picks. However, someone who lives recklessly is a bit more difficult to pick. Someone like Fifty Cent or Eminem, they might make the list, both of them with past or present (not for me to judge) connections in the violent world of illegal drug trafficking and gangs.


I would imagine that some of the more popular picks for the coming year would be Helen Thomas (reporter), Richard Widmark (actor), Mike Wallace (87 year old retired journalist), and Saddam Hussein (duh). Some of the less popular picks would be Dick Cheney (heart problem, but too evil to die), Keith Richards (the man will be around to watch the Earth melt) and Bill O Reilly (culture warrior claiming to be on the Al-Queda hit list---obviously that's one terrorist organization with too much free time on its hands).


Now, I'm not a proponent of DeaD Pools. There is something ghoulish about them and sitting around trying to figure out where the reaper will strike next seems a hell of a way to start off the New Year. But hey, who am I to judge? And be honest, as you have been reading this posting, weren't you, in the back of your mind trying to come up with some other names? Be honest. As long as my name isn't on one of the lists, I can live with that.

12 comments:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

hey, stewart. emailing this from work, hence the lower case. wouldn't it be cool if they hanged hussein during half-time at the superbowl, which of course the bears would win? your word verification is fertmx, the newest sleep medication/trail mix on the market today...wayne

SQT said...

Cher comes to mind because she herself claims that she'd survive a nuclear blast with all the cockroaches. There's gotta be some decent odds on Cher.

molly said...

umm obviously they cant hang saddam during the halftime show, as it would conflict with the god forever known as prince's performance.

I love Moby Grape, Vanilla Fudge and Procol Harum. I listen to a lot of bands who aren't really wellknown today. Love, for example, is my favorite band. I love Cream, Blind Faith and Derek & the Dominoes. I'm into Shocking Blue and Strawberry Alarm Clock. I've got the odd Charles Manson song because he's not too bad. I just picked up my Arlo Guthrie tickets and I'm in search of the GTO's "Permanant Damage" and anything by the Fugs.

IN short, I live for the Sixties, and Prince.

Belle said...

I have to admit, it is a very ghoulish thing to think about, but I couldn't help but try and add to the list. I'm terrible! Never Keith Richards. I've heard he can't be killed by conventional weapons...

~Belle

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm picking the entire human race. We're really getting up there at probably more than 200,000 years as a species. Could even be half a million.

deslily said...

While I'm hoping Widmark holds on a bit more, I know the odds aren't good as they aren't for someone else I am glad to say I've gotten to know, actor Kevin McCarthy who is 92 also.
Unfortunately I've lost a number of actors that I had the pleasure of helping at autograph shows, like Norman Fell, and a favorite of mine, Jonathan Harris.
But I hope we don't loose many actors this year...

I really really really would like to see Bin Laden on that list though.

Stewart Sternberg said...

If they hung saddam at the superbowl, wayne, then joey heatherton would have to sing the national anthem......waiting.....waiting...

Cher? It's also why she is somewhat sexually frustrated......waiting...waiting....

molly, I am going to be posting some music information on here I think you'll enjoy...I am a nut about the history of popular music in America..and England.

belle..you are quite right about Keith Richards. The only thing that can kill him is Chuck Norris.

And as for the human race, Charles...I don't imagine it will be in the next year, but soon.

Deslily, I met Kevin McCarthy briefly a couple of years back. I saw him in Ann Arbor, Michigan during the summer. An outdoor concert or some such event.I wanted to run through traffic yelling "They're here....They're here!!!" He and Widmark actually look pretty good for their ages.

deslily said...

up until he was 90 Kevin was doing more then great! Since then he uses a walker for balance.. but his voice is still as strong as ever and he so smart! You did know his sister was Mary McCarthy, the author right?

Sidney said...

My wife always says as long as Keith Richards is holding up she must be doing fine.

I think I prefer to wait and be surprised by which celebrities will be taken and when, but if I had to guess well I wonder if one of the "It" girls might not go soon, given their lifestyles and driving records.

I'll miss Richard Widmark if he goes to join Glenn Ford. I kind of miss the days now when Widmark was in every third movie or so that came out.

Meander said...

oh my there is something very...icky about that indeed. it does seem that we are more aware of death...especially of celebrities.

well...i am thankful for another year. i am still here...must be a reason for it.

here is to a new and wondrous year of beginnings!

Sphinx Ink said...

Sphinx Ink has on good authority--her connection with the ancient past via her ancestor, The Great Sphinx--that in fact Keith Richard has been dead for centuries and what we've seen in our lifetime(s) is actually a holographic projection, which due to the still-evolving process of technical development has actually made Keith Richard look the way he does now, rather than the way he looked at his actual demise. Never fear, however, his spirit lives on and acts out via the hologram.

molly said...

They're remaking the movie Hairspray.

I would love a sixties posting, very cool!

I'm glad that Arlo's good in concert! I'm already very very excited and i still have months until the day. Row F!

I was blessed to have parents with great taste in music and since I can remember I loved the Beatles. From there I found the Stones, and I got into the movie/play "Hair", still my favorite movie. I just sort of progressed mroe and more obscure. From there to Jefferson Airplane and then I watched Woodstock, which opened up a whole bunch like Country JOe & the Fish and Arlo...
and now I go to a great record store where the guys there recommend good stuff.
Feel free to do the same!